• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Six Pack hood clearance

440rush

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm wanting to add a six pack set up on my 73 Cuda with the twin scoop hood. It's got a 68 440. I just wanted to ask if I will run into hood clearance problems doing so. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any problems but would ask anyway. Thanks

fasjac

Reaction score
Yes, it will fit with factory parts. No problem.

sixpactogo

Reaction score
As long as you don't have a hood silencer pad. I had to cut a hole in mine. If you look at my avatar, you can see part of the hole.

fasjac

Reaction score
Correct, I forgot to mention that but, I didn't run the insulator pad.
Good catch sixpactogo!

fasjac

Reaction score
I don't think the factory six pack cars had hood silencers. Mine was not original.
I'm not either. Mine was a 340 car and didn't have the hood pad when I bought it, then converted to big block six pack.

440rush

Reaction score
Thanks Sixpactogo & Fasjac, I thought it would clear with no problems. I will need to take off my hood pad. Thanks again.

Knock Out

Reaction score
Hmm
Does that go for the Challengers as well
Mt car has the silencer and it rubs on the top of the air cleaner
Thanks for the info Guys
I am always learning on this site

Reaction score
I've owned my 70 440 6BBL Cuda since 1972 when it had 9000 miles on it. I bought it from my uncle so I've known the car since it was new.
So to answer the question, yes It came with the hood silencer pad from the factory. As the pad aged it did sag in the middle and rub on the air cleaner a bit.
I think the original pad was thinner than some of the replacement ones I've seen, thats just my opinion as the original has long since fallen apart.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
E709B23A-5CC9-4823-BFD2-43D248FF60F5.png
D1BDDA34-15C8-4AFD-8EA0-D5AA5FFC3F80.png
A1B5B82B-D16B-4AFD-8DD3-CADCBAE7C7CC.png

my high school friend had a car just like this one. I think it fits just fine. His was a 1970 440 six pack. Don’t remember any hood insulator though. Pic from the internet.

Jimmyspeed59

Reaction score
Hmm
Thanks for the info Guys
Hmm
Thanks for the info Guys
I have a 70 challenger with a molded pad and it fits fine.
7428ADB4-16D0-4F2F-974D-F205A5CBFCFE.jpeg

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I did not. I looked through my old photos of the car and didn't find a pic showing the cutout. I sold the car back in 2013. What I did is, I knew where it was rubbing so I took the lid off, flipped it over and held it up against the pad. I drew around it with a magic marker then cut it out with a razor blade knife. It looked like it was a factory cut when finished. Maybe you will luck out like some did and it won't rub. Mine rubbed just enough to scrub the decal a little. I didn't want to keep replacing the decal so I did what I did. Good luck!

sixpactogo

Reaction score
You're right Cratos. I would go without the pad or butcher it like I did rather than take a chance because if it rubs at all it will mess up your paint since that pad is kinda like a 3M scouring pad. I wasn't even aware mine was rubbing until I saw the damage to my decal.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Personally I never want the hood pad in there holding dirt just above the air cleaner

Back