• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slap Stick Knob

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Any suggestions for replacing the the stock shifter knob with something that doesn’t look like a brown turd on a stick? I prefer black or brushed aluminum or stainless. We’re getting really close to finishing the wiring, from there we’ll button up the interior. Feels good to be making progress after, mostly, taking a year off from working on the Cuda.

2BF2F307-88F1-4852-AF29-D42782F47D74.jpeg

70chall440

Reaction score
Unfortunate that you don't like that shifter, personally I find it much better than much of what is out there. That said I guess you could use something like a quarter stick or maybe one of the AT pistol grips.

DrEamer

Reaction score
I'm planning on having all my factory brown wood grain pieces including the shifter hydro dipped to a grey wood grain. I think it will give a modern flair with a nod to the original feel.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Things look much better now, some masking tape and some detail in a can makes the knob fit the look. I do prefer a round shifter, again thanks for all the input.

2731DFF1-B0C7-4340-B1F2-4A71E125FC4C.jpeg

Max Wedge

Reaction score
I have the same problem and will prob have to do the same thing with the shifter knob in mine.

What paint did you use, OP? I hope it turns out to be durable.

If anyone tools up a metal knob or a machined black plastic one, I'd be in for a couple. Probably a good market for A/B/E owners who don't like the colour.

On my '70 R/T, I redid the walnut woodgrain on the cluster, console top and door inserts with black leathergrain from DMT and it looks a lot better IMHO. The shifter knob is the last woodgrain I need to eliminate (For those that like woodgrain, that's cool too).

Fishgutz

Reaction score
I have the same problem and will prob have to do the same thing with the shifter knob in mine.

What paint did you use, OP? I hope it turns out to be durable.

If anyone tools up a metal knob or a machined black plastic one, I'd be in for a couple. Probably a good market for A/B/E owners who don't like the colour.

On my '70 R/T, I redid the walnut woodgrain on the cluster, console top and door inserts with black leathergrain from DMT and it looks a lot better IMHO. The shifter knob is the last woodgrain I need to eliminate (For those that like woodgrain, that's cool too).
Hey Max, I think this stuff is going work very well. It really bonded to plastic and feels durable. Sprays on nicely and drys in a second. I touched up the rear side panels also, almost no difference in color compared to the new door panel repops I have awaiting installation. Good luck with your project.

038AB57B-23CE-4C1B-9F4B-1D1625B23D7A.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
Any suggestions for replacing the the stock shifter knob with something that doesn’t look like a brown turd on a stick? I prefer black or brushed aluminum or stainless. We’re getting really close to finishing the wiring, from there we’ll button up the interior. Feels good to be making progress after, mostly, taking a year off from working on the Cuda.

View attachment 82165
You could get the machine shop to build one out billett aluminum or a pistol grip style would look good. JMO

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Hey Max, I think this stuff is going work very well. It really bonded to plastic and feels durable. Sprays on nicely and drys in a second. I touched up the rear side panels also, almost no difference in color compared to the new door panel repops I have awaiting installation. Good luck with your project.

View attachment 82319
Thanks - much appreciated. That might be the ticket.

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I am no E body expert, but isn't there another knob that was available? chrome/silver?
That brown knob started on the 69 Chargers.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The Tee handles were weak but even the 70 plastic button on top was cheap & tended to strip out , if you tighten the knob down then you could not get past the detents , so a metal button would really help the ball type shifters if someone would tool one up .

Max Wedge

Reaction score
I suspect the 68 down B-Body metal knob might fit but might not look that great on an E.

Last edited:

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I suspect the 68 down B-Body metal knob might fir but might not look that great on an E.
I will post a picture. I have some leftover parts for a 70 challenger I aquired back in 2006.and this particular knob was with it all, and doesn't belong to a charger. I still have the original A/C compressor,and hood springs as well.

Back