• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slap stick question

Habib

Reaction score
I know 1970 slap stick is a 1 year only design. Is the linkage for that unique as well? Is it the same for the 71-74 Slap stick?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
The actual shifting linkage should be the same. I don't think Chrysler change that. Maybe another member will give their opinion!

TimS

Reaction score
Years ago I would swap out the shifter mechanisms to a t style or back to the 70 ball. Linkage is the same.

My Gran Coupe has a T Handle slapstick like my 72 Barracuda, which I thought is incorrect. So you only had to swap the shifter handle itself to the ball style? It slips right over the rectangular shape mechanism? There was one on here for sale a while back that I wanted to buy but wasn't sure if it would fit the mechanism I have.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Tim
You need the whole shifter unit (actual shifter mechanism, console shifter plate and handle/ball
My Gran Coupe has a T Handle slapstick like my 72 Barracuda, which I thought is incorrect. So you only had to swap the shifter handle itself to the ball style? It slips right over the rectangular shape mechanism? There was one on here for sale a while back that I wanted to buy but wasn't sure if it would fit the mechanism I have.
Rod is the same. Shifter plate would be either round or square opening.
shopping

Shifter available as a repro
214-70KIT Mopar 1970 E-body Automatic Console Shifter Kit

214-70kit__53477.1418350831.1280.1280.jpg

R4Sedan

Reaction score
I had a 70 challenger in the 80's and changed it to a T handle. I believe I had to change out the whole mechanism. I still like the T shifter better. But probably should just keep my ball shifter.

340challconvert

Reaction score
You may want to contact Mopar okie, here on FEBO who has one for sale?
under "70 slap stick" in parts for sale section
Dino2 (2).gif

Last edited:

TimS

Reaction score
You may want to contact Mopar okie, here on FEBO who has one for sale?
under "70 slap stick" in parts for sale section
View attachment 66426

I saw that but too pricey for me. Pretty much like the Ebay part you were showing me earlier. Thinking of buying the new shifter kit from PG classics. New mechanism, chrome shifter and woodgrain knob vs. 50 year old part. Seems to be the way to go. I can modify my cover plate slider to accomodate the round shifter and save $200 bucks for something else I need. Thanks for the info!!

Back