• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Slapstick replacement

BadFish

Reaction score
I have a 74 'Cuda, automatic, with a slapstick. I have found that the new Slapsticks from Year one are complete garbage. I have tried 3 and they all have cheap plastic, and the buttons stick. Does anyone make a good quality Slapstick, or one made from metal would even be better.

burdar

Reaction score
You're talking about the T handle right? The original part wasn't a very good design so the repro is probably even worse. I've heard of some people reinforcing the lower section of the handle on the inside. I don't know what else to suggest.

The original T handle broke on dads Challenger a few years after he bought it. Even back in the late 70's he had trouble finding a replacement. He ended up making one out of wood. It kind of looked like the 1970 version. He used that for a few years until he found a nice T handle in a junk yard. I think I have the wooden handle he made somewhere.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
There is a pistol grip style replacement handle for the slapstick. I don't know too much about it. You could also go with the 70 style shifter.

burdar

Reaction score
The black plastic slide piece is unique to 1970. You may have to replace it if you change to the 1970 style shifter.

If you are going to be going through the gears pretty aggressively, then the pistol grip convertion might be your best bet.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You would have to replace the slide. The whole shifter is different. The linkage is the same for the 70 and the 71 - up. This is why I suggested to Pistol Grip option first. If things are out of adjustment the T-handle will hit the chrome bezel when you shift into first. I have seen many a T-handle break because of this. Of course, you would need to slam it down into first gear. The button may be hard to work because of the shifter rod itself need oiled or bent. It may not be the T-handles.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
On the Cuda Challenger site there is a member with user name Quapman , he makes a billet pistol grip replacement handle that is top quality & will not break or stick like the plastic ones , if you want to go to a pistol grip design on the slapstick . The replacement will bolt on in approx 1 minute , he has different units for the 70 & 71-74 style as well

Brads70

Reaction score
On the Cuda Challenger site there is a member with user name Quapman , he makes a billet pistol grip replacement handle that is top quality & will not break or stick like the plastic ones , if you want to go to a pistol grip design on the slapstick . The replacement will bolt on in approx 1 minute , he has different units for the 70 & 71-74 style as well

That's what I'm using. Love works great! Mine is the 71-74 version even though the car is a 1970. I prefered the 71-74 version.

PDRM0492.jpg

PDRM0493.jpg

PDRM0108.jpg

PDRM0107.jpg

Moparparts

Reaction score
If you change to the 70 style shifter it will work ok with your existing shifter linkage. The upper rod and spring plate are the same for 70-74 but the vertical torque shaft that goes through the floor, lower adjustment trans rod and the torque shaft trans bracket are unique to a 70 the 71-74 are different on those parts and do not interchange unless you replace all those components. I have a 70 shifter if you need one PM me

Brads70

Reaction score
If you change to the 70 style shifter it will work ok with your existing shifter linkage. The upper rod and spring plate are the same for 70-74 but the vertical torque shaft that goes through the floor, lower adjustment trans rod and the torque shaft trans bracket are unique to a 70 the 71-74 are different on those parts and do not interchange unless you replace all those components. I have a 70 shifter if you need one PM me
I have both sets up's 70 and 71-74 shifters rods etc... I prefered the 71-74 set up but thanks for the offer though! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mistreta

Reaction score
I'm ready to order a pistol grip shifter from Quapman, autoshifter. The short version, for my 72 cuda. From what I have read that's the one I need. I'ts not the T handle, It is the one with a button on top. Quapman assured me that is the correct one. Any comments.

Back