• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Small Block 727s and Torque Converters

Beekeeper

Reaction score
Picked up a nice original 73 340 motor with its matching 727 trans today. Was told everything worked fine when it was parked years ago.

On the trans, assuming it has its original converter, what sort of stall might it have had being a 73 factory unit?

I was going to drop the pan, change the filter and fluid and if there’s no burnt fluid or metal shavings, clean it all up and give it a try without rebuilding it.

Steve340

Reaction score
If the trans looks sound I would do the front and rear oil seals also.
Could save a pesky leak from an old hard oil seal.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If my memory serves me Chrysler used 2 converters. An 11” that stalled around 2000rpm or less and a 10” that was good for around 2500 rpm. A 340 would’ve had the 10”.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
That’s what I needed. Thanks. It will be helpful when I pick a new cam. No need to buy more stuff if I don’t have to.

i_taz

Reaction score
I just dropped the valve body and replaced the shifter seal and adjusted the bands for the first time.
I was apprehensive at first but there's not a lot to it and it gave me a good excuse to buy a inch pound
torque wrench I should have bought a long time ago and the FSM says to use Dexron. If nothing else get a drain plug kit.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

Reaction score
Thanks. I opened a working big block 727 on my 69 Coronet and I added the reusable gasket and deep pan with plug in the event I ever had to open it again.

I plan to do that on this unit plus I’ll take everyones advice and adjust the bands.

knowing the stall speed is probably around 2500, I’ll give Hughes a call and ask for help on a good cam for this lower compression motor.

Back