• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Sound of car

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Does anyone know why some cars make rumbling or popping sound when you let off the gas. Seems like it has more to do with rpm's. Is it long tube headers of exhaust pipe size. I have a 500in 440 storker with shorty headers 21/2 inch exhaust and it doesn't make that sound. Just wandering.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Essentially, the sudden easing off the throttle causes an immediate decrease in exhaust flow to the degree that atmospheric pressure surrounding the exhaust pipe pushes cool air up into the exhaust system. This air collides with the warm exhaust gasses and creates a rumbling not unlike thunder.

Popping is caused by the detonation of unburned fuel in the exhaust pipe. This happens with high flow exhausts that allow more fresh air to be pulled into the pipe, causing the exhaust temperature to rise and detonate any unburnt fuel.

budascuda

Reaction score
That was the most scientific thing I read in a long while!

Flchallenger

Reaction score
2 1/2in pipes are to restrictive for the 500 in. would this be a sign the exhaust is not large enough for the motor. And would the is be effected by long tube headers vs shorties?

Flchallenger

Reaction score
340 challenger conv If motor doesn't do this, would this not be a indication that the system is not flowing optimally. Wouldn't you be losing HP due to insufficient flow?

MoparsNBurnouts

Reaction score
If you had long tubes and 3" exhaust it would sound way better. It would also give you more power because what you have on now is restrictive with your 500"s.

Montclaire

Reaction score
Do you want it to sound like that? Just be honest, it will make it easier to get an answer. Lol

NoCar340

Reaction score
340challconvert nailed it. When the throttle is released, vacuum skyrockets and pulls fuel kicking and screaming through every carb circuit that'll provide it. The inrush of fresh oxygen (air) due to the sudden drop in exhaust system pressure is all the hot, unburned fuel needs to ignite. It's part of the territory with high-perf carbureted engines.

When this happens in a EFI car--particularly one with a custom tune--it makes me laugh. Guys will talk about how awesome their tune is, then it pops and bangs like crazy when they let off. That means their tuning guru paid absolutely no attention to DFCO (deceleration fuel cut-off) or dashpot. There's a perfect example of this right around the corner from me. It's a C7 'Vette that sounds like the 4th of July on decel. I asked who tuned it so I'd know to avoid them later.

If you have an upstream exhaust leak, you'll get an outright backfire through the exhaust. My Trans Am's clutch linkage had worn a small hole in a header primary. After winding it out, I could make it shoot a single 6-8' blue flame out the LH tailpipe, accompanied by what sounded like a rifle shot, simply by compression braking.

Back