• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

spark plugs - hard to find

booyaballer

Reaction score
Happy Holidays everyone!

I've checked previous posts about spark plugs and sounds like the Champion N9Y (part #300 according to champion website) may be the way to go. I've checked typical parts websites like pep boys, auto zone etc and nobody seems to carry that specific plug. most seem to have platinum versions which make it more confusing. I'm a bit OCD so I'm looking for the N9Y. some mentioned the Autolite "equivilant" but even that is confusing. Is there a specific place I can find these hard to find plugs?

any tips for getting to the back two plugs on the driver's side, i can already see its going to test me dealing with the header.

Also, my car is a 70 challenger with a six pack on a 360 crate engine. I don't mind the muscle car cologne too much but the fuel/exhaust smell seems excessive. Maybe i'm used to my modern car but i hope new plugs may help the issue. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

340challconvert

Reaction score
booya
I just picked up a box set of 10 of Champion N9Y plugs with the original Chrysler part numbers. I have also been picking up original Champion N9Y plugs in pairs or separately (all on e-bay) So you can find them if you are patient. I paid an average of about $5.00 per plug.
Pic below. I have also posted a copy I have of modern replacement plugs for N9Y's:

s-l1600 (52).jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Also, contigent on if your engine is performance modified; (headers, cam, etc) some people choose to go to a slightly higher heat range to prevent fouling.
As far as getting to the last two plugs on the driver's side; what prevents access? Headers, special brake master & booster?
Worst case scenario; I used to have a 440 6 pak where I had to remove the bolt to the motor mount and lift the engine slightly to get at plugs. Small block should be easier.
(And be glad you do not own a big block late 60's Mustang) o_O

moparleo

Reaction score
New spark plugs will not fix a tuning problem. And why the N9Y. Is this a stock 1970 340 spec crate engine ? 10.5 CR was factory for 1970 340. Is it aftermarket or a Mopar Factory Crate engine ? Air/fuel and/or timing is your problem. Know somebody who does smog testing ? If so he can use his Smog test equipment to set your ratios.

Last edited:

booyaballer

Reaction score
thanks for the advice/suggestions. clearly i've neglected my car. still trying to figure out how to effectively tighten the last two plugs without braking more of them (1 so far).

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4477.jpg

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Those plugs have either been in there for awhile or they are too cold of a plug. Personally #12 heat range works for me, the #9 is too cold and fouls up easy in my 383. Anyways, I have modified 2 wenchs to help me change my plugs, maybe this would work for you, I cut a slit in the box end grinded down the open end

16087767899611612119936261436720.jpg

booyaballer

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I modified a 13/16 socket and made it a stubby. size matters. I still don't have enough room to torque it to spec but it'll do. on to the next thing, which there is plenty of.

IMG_4492.jpg

booyaballer

Reaction score
Yeah, its been sitting a while and it is neglected. I just completed my TKO install. i'll have to research which headers to get and put some elbow grease on the engine compartment.

moparleo

Reaction score
I have run TTI ceramic coated for over 15 years. No down side. Excellent fit, ground clearance, plug clearance, wire clearance, Lower under hood temp with the thermal barrier and low maintenance with the polished ceramic coating. Premium product, premium price.
My car is worth it to me...

fasjac

Reaction score
Leo is correct, I’ve run TTI’s for 15+ years. Couldn’t be happier with the fit, plug clearance etc. Save the coin or pay it. Good investment.

chargerdon

Reaction score
yours looks the same as mine...Patriot long tube headers.... Yes, the last two plugs (#5 and #7) are a @#$%^^ to get out and replace. On mine, i first put the plugs i'm going to use into the #1 cylinder and tighten it down to about 25 ft-lbs to "precrush" the washer. Then i use the shortest plug wrench that i have, and am just able to wiggle a closed 3/4 inch wrench over the end of it, after putting a bar down into there to slightly pull the header pipe towards the fender. Then tighten it down with the wrench pointing towards the floor. Remember, you only need about 25-30 ft-lbs...that's fairly easy with a 12" wrench.

Back