• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Spring Problem

Gert186

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Problem. I removed the harmonic balancer on my 340 Engine and was thinking that there is a safety ring inside. Inside the crankshaft but it wasn't. It was a Spring and I do not know where I can get this spring and which spring that is? Can somebody helps me please?
DB6E869B-E827-407A-998B-7D24B2A49462.JPG
IMG_1516.jpg

gzig5

Reaction score
There is no spring in the crankshaft. That is most likely the remnants of a heli-coil used to repair the thread on the end of the crank. You should be able to have a new heli-coil installed or better yet, have a TimeSert installed if they make one that big. Timesert is more reliable but may not be compatible with the heli-coil thread. I don't remember the thread size of the harmonic balancer bolt off hand.

The other option would be to drill/tap the crank snout for the next larger bolt size that would clean up the hole. Not easy to do with the engine in the car, but doable.

moparlee

Reaction score
Post up a pic of the bolt. It is pretty hard to mess up the threads on a bolt that size. What do the threads in the end of the crank look like?

Back