1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

Spring Problem

Engine Issues

1. Gert186

Gert186 Member

Hi,
    I have a Problem. I removed the harmonic balancer on my 340 Engine and was thinking that there is a safety ring inside. Inside the crankshaft but it wasn't. It was a Spring and I do not know where I can get this spring and which spring that is? Can somebody helps me please? DB6E869B-E827-407A-998B-7D24B2A49462.JPG IMG_1516.jpg

2. gzig5

gzig5 Active Member

There is no spring in the crankshaft. That is most likely the remnants of a heli-coil used to repair the thread on the end of the crank. You should be able to have a new heli-coil installed or better yet, have a TimeSert installed if they make one that big. Timesert is more reliable but may not be compatible with the heli-coil thread. I don't remember the thread size of the harmonic balancer bolt off hand.

The other option would be to drill/tap the crank snout for the next larger bolt size that would clean up the hole. Not easy to do with the engine in the car, but doable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. moparlee

moparlee Well-Known Member

Post up a pic of the bolt. It is pretty hard to mess up the threads on a bolt that size. What do the threads in the end of the crank look like?