• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starter clicking once when triggered.

bullet18

Reaction score
Ive got a 77 440 in my 70 challenger and im having an issue with the new starter i bought. When i connect the leads to trigger the starter it makes one click and then nothing happens. I have a remote starter switch but when i hook up both the leads for it the leads spark and the starter clicks like its trying to engage even if im not pulling the trigger. Could this be a dead battery? I put the battery on the charger but it looks like the amps are falling so i dont know whats up. Any ideas what could be going on here? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

bullet18

Reaction score
No volt/ohm meter ? Need a fully charged battery to do proper electrical testing. Can you run a jumper from another car ? Why the new starter ?
The old starter stopped working. I put the battery on the charger but instead of the amps climbing like they normally do, the gauge on the charger just slowly went down. Does this mean my battery is bad? I ran jumpers and the starter could barely turn the engine over.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Is this the same starter you had on your other 440. ( off a junk yard Dakota? ) is it bound up or need shimming? Is your wire going to the starter grounded somewhere? Like Leo said check your voltage

bullet18

Reaction score
Is this the same starter you had on your other 440. ( off a junk yard Dakota? ) is it bound up or need shimming? Is your wire going to the starter grounded somewhere? Like Leo said check your voltage
No that one melted. I bought this one of the internet. I dont know if its bound up or needs shimming. The first time it didnt work i turned the engine over to make sure it wasnt siezed and then the starter worked for a second before i let go of the trigger, then it just clicked when i tried again. Ive tried hitting it with a mallet to unbind it but that hasn't done anything.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Most auto parts stores can run a test on your battery, if you don’t have a tester.wonder what melted your other starter. Pull it back out and and see if it engages if you hit it quick with 12 volts

bullet18

Reaction score
Ok i connected my starter switch directly to the starter terminals instead of the starter leads and now it cranks. Somehow my starter switch is inverted so it only triggers when im not pulling the trigger down. I dont even know how thats possible but if it cranks i guess im ok with it.

Back