• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column collapsed??

bking4aday

Reaction score
Hi all. I am in the process of restoring my 70 Challenger RT. I’ve rebuilt the steering column, but it’s now too short to engage the steering box. I know there are plastic shear pins in the shaft, but didn’t notice it being collapsed. The photo shows dimensions from the firewall. I was hoping someone could provide some reference dimensions before I disassembled everything. Thanks in advance!

1822A9D9-7DA5-4043-AF9F-765312EF9443.jpeg

EW1BH27

Reaction score
Here's a steering column assembly video, it's Part 4. I left out Parts 1, 2 & 3.

bking4aday

Reaction score
Here's a steering column assembly video, it's Part 4. I left out Parts 1, 2 & 3.

Thanks. Ya that video series is fantastic. That’s actually what I used for the rebuild. I’m just still not sure about the actual correct length of the shaft when installed. I guess I will disassemble and check the 16” dimension quoted in the video.

bking4aday

Reaction score
It is power. All original parts that operated properly before the rebuild.

Can anyone inform me what would happen if I just forced the shaft to lengthen, essentially shearing the plastic pins? Not ideal, but once installed - what difference would it make?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
It's probably more than likely the shear pins broke from a bump or age. May want to put a worm clamp or other (duct tape) to hold to length.Until you fix it if need be.will still slide in if there was a front end collision.Like your looking forward to that happening. Click on link 2 above. there is a measurement to set the shaft.

Last edited:

rklein71

Reaction score
It's a two-piece shaft, the lower shaft slides in and out, I believe to allow the column to collapse in the event of a big crash. You should be able to clamp onto the lower shaft and gently tap on the clamp with a hammer and it should slide down.

Katfish

Reaction score
Please post what you end up finding, I suspect mine is collapsed too.
Would be nice to have a measurement from the collar to that welded section.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Please post what you end up finding, I suspect mine is collapsed too.
Would be nice to have a measurement from the collar to that welded section.
With the shaft connected to to steering box.The measurement that matters the most is this one.

20210711_133332.jpg

Katfish

Reaction score
I see 13/16", but what is that reference point?
I don't see a dimple or pin in my shaft?

BergmanAutoCraft

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
Pull the shaft to the proper length. Happens all the time. Nylon was injected into the joint to hold the length during assembly. These shafts were set at either the power or manual length when new.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I used a flap disk to clean mine up.It did a nice job. There are groove on the inside shaft to help line up with the holes.

Back