• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering column misaligned

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
The steering shaft in the steering column in my Challenger rubs the bottom of the opening where the housing ends. Can someone give me a clear picture of what should be visible from the engine compartment side of the column - bearing, gap, clip, whatever. This is a slant 6 car, column shift 904 with power steering. I would assume loosening the 4 bolts and slifding the firewall plate down would help with this, but it seems like I am missing something functioning as a shaft support at the lower/open end of the column.

moparlee

Reaction score
Do you have all of the parts and brackets shown in these pics of mine (not a column shift)? Show us a pic of yours on both sides of the firewall.
045.JPG

089.JPG

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like you have parts worn out. Member Cody did a video that is on YouTube on the rebuilding of the columns. Watch the video and I am sure you will figure out what is wrong with your column.

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
Here's the engine side. Didn't grab one of the interior side. The 3 hole plate was adjusted all the way up. Best I could do was get it centered on the 3 holes but it was just a slight improvement. The steering shaft seems like it should have something inside the shift tube, like the shift tube has to the column housing.

20171118_162503.jpg

71Challenger/6

Reaction score
2 more shots. Better focus. Nevermind the spots. The P/S pulley ate the corner of my battery and spewed acid everywhere.

20171120_110800.jpg

20171120_110707.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Looks like it is missing the tube bearing and column seal retainer, but I am not too familiar with the column shift cars. Maybe someone else can chime in too. Check with Year One and Classic Industries, they may be having a Thanksgiving sale going on. BTW - that sucks about the battery acid.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The lever is the same as a column shift car but it is used on the 70 for the lock out transmission linkage. Two levers is a 70 column shift.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would watch the video and rebuild the column. Then if something doesn't fit, you can look at steering gear box alignment etc. From the looks of it the column just needs rebuilt. With the bottom worn out and sitting on an angle, it has worn the top bearings also. When you repair the bottom the top will have slop in it. That is why I would do it all at one time and be done with it.

david411

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my column. I loosened the two bolts at the dash and the three bolts at the firewall and was able to adjust the column enough to stop it from rubbing the shaft.

Back