• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering shaft??

440 Smokin

Reaction score
IMG_1075.JPG
I needed to replace my ignition switch on my 74 Cuda so decided to go ahead and pull the steering column and replace turn signal switch, upper and lower bearing and the shaft coupler. But when I got the shaft out, the lower bearing was unlike any I saw on the internet for E bodies. The bearing that everyone sells is a plastic bearing. This shaft has a stop ring welded on it, a spring and then a small ball bearing that is inserted into a cup which it turn is inserted into the column. It is not a numbers car so I don't mind so much that it is not original as I don't know where to find the lower bearing. Anyone know what vehicle this comes from??
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG

oldkimmer

Reaction score
My 74 duster has the same thing. I think u can use a SER 16 bearing. Should be 2 inch outside dia or 52millimeter and 3/4 inside diameter. and Kim

440 Smokin

Reaction score
Thanks, the pertinent info is your car is a 74 also. I contacted Norm and Norm's speed shop in WI and he told me that in 74 the shaft was changed to the design that you and I have. Of course that was the last year for the Ebody so there aren't any aftermarket bearings made. Thank you for your reply and the info on the alternate.

Back