• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering stiffens up at high RPM

dart3404

Reaction score
We built a 74 'cuda and had the steering box rebuilt by Firm Feel. It works perfectly except when you get into it and the 6-pack opens, the steering gets incredibly stiff. If you let off a bit and let it settle down for a second, it returns to perfect! Any ideas what might cause this?

Adam

Reaction score
Cavitation or, air in the system? Turn it lock to lock several more times to bleed out any air. Btw, is this the same pump, working well before, or new pump?
Also, check the belt is not slipping.

dart3404

Reaction score
Cavitation or, air in the system? Turn it lock to lock several more times to bleed out any air. Btw, is this the same pump, working well before, or new pump?
Also, check the belt is not slipping.
Thank you very much! We'll look into these .

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I bet the issue you have is the power steering pump. ALL FEDERAL PUMPS will not provide proper assist at hi-rpms.... they are a poor design for anything performance orientated, however, MaMopar put them onto hi-performance applications (typically with 3.55 or numerically higher rear axle ratios, as well as certain other applications)..

ONLY the SAGINAW PUMPS will provide the proper assist at hi-rpms. I do autocross and road racing (lots of hi-rpms)... unfortunately, I learned the hard way (a long time ago) with the FEDERAL pumps -- they do not work in hi-rpms. Change to a SAGINAW unit (same as most all GM applications use..) and the problem is cured. ONLY use a SAGINAW pump if you want proper assist at hi-rpms.

Back