• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering Wheel Alignment

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 Barracuda. Can the steering wheel be centered if it's off? I had a 73 Challenger. I found that the steering wheel could only installed one way, the splines was designed to go on one way. Is it the same on the Barracuda? Or do I need to realign the steering shaft to the steering gear? I had the steering gear replaced. Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Sure thing. Take it to an alignment shop; the wheels can be adjusted to the correct position in relation to the steering wheel by the tie rod sleeves.

For example, the tie rods can be adjusted on one side to pull the rear of the wheel closer to center, and further out on the other side; while the steering wheel remains straight.

No need to change the splines on anything...

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
When I took it to get aligned, they asked me why the mechanic didn't center the steering wheel after they replaced the steering gear. That's why I was questioning whether the steering wheel could also be aligned. Thanks.

aussiemark

Reaction score
The crush can that the steering wheel is bolted to does have a master spline so it only goes on in 1 position. You will need to disconnect the steering column from the steering box, centre the steering wheel then centre the pitman arm then reconnect the steering column to the steering box. If the pitman arm is not centred the wheels will turn out further on left or right at full lock depending on which side the pitman arm is out and the tyre may make contact with the chassis on one side at full lock.

Rich G.

Reaction score
If he did I right the box and crush can can only go on one way unless he beat the coupler on the wrong set of splines. There’s one that is different

money pit

Reaction score
Doesn't the pitman arm also go on one way? When I rebuilt the front end on my challenger, it's splined so it only fits one way. Thanks

moparlee

Reaction score
Doesn't the pitman arm also go on one way? When I rebuilt the front end on my challenger, it's splined so it only fits one way. Thanks
The pitman arm does only go on one way, but you still need to center it between its right and left movement before the steering linkages are connected. This is what Aussiemark was talking about.

money pit

Reaction score
The pitman arm does only go on one way, but you still need to center it between its right and left movement before the steering linkages are connected. This is what Aussiemark was talking about.
Ok. I misunderstood. Thanks

rarefish

Reaction score
All of the steering parts from the wheel to the pitman arm are keyed so when installed there is no adjustments to correct if the steering wheel is off some.
As said above, the steering wheel adjustments are made using the tie rod end adjusting sleeves, but you still need to maintaining the proper toe setting.

money pit

Reaction score
All of the steering parts from the wheel to the pitman arm are keyed so when installed there is no adjustments to correct if the steering wheel is off some.
As said above, the steering wheel adjustments are made using the tie rod end adjusting sleeves, but you still need to maintaining the proper toe setting.
Does the steering coupler only go on one way? I looked at it quickly and didn't notice the splines only going on one way.

moparlee

Reaction score
Does the steering coupler only go on one way? I looked at it quickly and didn't notice the splines only going on one way.
Look at the coupler and the steering gear shaft closely. There is a flat spot area on each of them that need to be aligned.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Yes . Look very close. There is one spline that is different. Pretty much just double the others. It’s easier just to mark it and the one on the box because it’s tough to see and you can easily be off.

brotow

Reaction score
You can only mount the pitman arm in 4 direction. Imagine your truck being the compass. you can either do N,S,E,W.. you can't go in between. Look at your stock pitman arm you will notice the spline has a bigger gap every 90*. This is so you mount the pitman arm the right way.

Look at this page and use the magnifier to look at the detail and see the 4 "key way" the arm could be installed. I had the same problem after replacing my steering box, the wheel was off bu 90 degrees.

Dodge Dart Parts | Steering | Pitman Arms | Classic Industries

Last edited:

Danny Boy

Reaction score
The quick ratio pitman arms are not keyed/splined like the originals (every 90 deg).
I purchased on of these and still need to install

money pit

Reaction score
Thanks. I have a direct replacement. I installed it in the same position that I took it off.

Back