• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Strut Rod question

Steve Blair

Reaction score
Does anyone know the length of the factory strut rod on a 71 Barracuda? I purchased a set of adjustable strut rods and sold the originals without measuring their length first. I just need a starting point since the alignment shop will likely make the final adjustment. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

cuda joe

Reaction score
these pictures are from my 71 cuda set the caster as high as you can I used off set upper control arm bushings and got the caster up to 4 degrees postive it feels good there 1 1/2 deg the factory calls for the car felt squirrely it handles much better with the adjustable stut rods too

Attachments

• KIMG0531[1].JPG
    KIMG0531[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • KIMG0532[1].JPG
    KIMG0532[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • KIMG0533[1].JPG
    KIMG0533[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • KIMG0534[1].JPG
    KIMG0534[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 114

Steve Blair

Reaction score
these pictures are from my 71 cuda set the caster as high as you can I used off set upper control arm bushings and got the caster up to 4 degrees postive it feels good there 1 1/2 deg the factory calls for the car felt squirrely it handles much better with the adjustable stut rods too
Thanks for your reply Cuda Joe,
I installed tubular upper control arms from PST and I think the adjustable strut rods are from QA1? I think I really need the measurement from the front K-member (where the strut rod attaches) to the lower control arm (where the strut rod attaches). I would make the adjustable strut rod this length as the starting point for the alignment shop. I believe the upper tubular control arm has the offset built into it but 4 degree positive camber is good to know (thanks!).

cuda joe

Reaction score
at the 1 inch and 3/4 mark to the 20 and 1/2 inch mark is 19 3/4 just make sure the suspension goes up and down with no binding you can shorten it a very little there is not much adjustement in the new rods their purpose is to keep the lower control arm from going back and forth the rubber bushings on the original strut rod had give back and forth. your upper control arms are perfect i did the offset bushings before i knew about the tubular arms get as much caster as you can with the upper control arms the car will feel a lot better

Steve Blair

Reaction score
at the 1 inch and 3/4 mark to the 20 and 1/2 inch mark is 19 3/4 just make sure the suspension goes up and down with no binding you can shorten it a very little there is not much adjustement in the new rods their purpose is to keep the lower control arm from going back and forth the rubber bushings on the original strut rod had give back and forth. your upper control arms are perfect i did the offset bushings before i knew about the tubular arms get as much caster as you can with the upper control arms the car will feel a lot better
Thank you for responding to my question about the strut rod length, and its good to hear my upper control arms were the right choice!

cuda joe

Reaction score
boxing the lower control arm is a good idea also i bought mine on ebay welded them when the car was on a lift

Steve Blair

Reaction score
I did purchase lower control arm the boxing kit from PST, welded them to the lower control arm and had the lower control arms powder coated. I also installed Polyurethane bushings but I think their too tight (at least initially). Well see if they make noise, if they do I may have to replace them with the factory rubber bushings?

Back