• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stuck Clutch?

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Hi guys, I finally got my car running. I installed the engine and transmission about 2 years ago. Now I have it running but the clutch doesn't seem to be working. I have the free play set correctly. I have the rear axle on jack stands. I start the engine in neutral and I cannot shift to any gear, it just grinds. I can start it in gear and the wheels spin free with no weird noises. However when I press the brakes with the clutch pedal pushed in it sounds like the clutch is chattering or grinding and I cannot stop the wheels from turning. I pulled the pan off and I can see the clutch relax when the pedal is pushed. Do you think the clutch disc is stuck on the flywheel? How would I free it up without removing the transmission? Thanks.

aussiemark

Reaction score
It sounds like the clutch plate is in there back the front (they usually have flywheel side stamped on them) or a mismatched clutch plate/pressure plate combination.

Adam

Reaction score
Two years? Was it ever working correctly before now?

It could be that the clutch disc has stuck to the flywheel, or pressure plate, due to surface rust; this happens on old trucks sometimes. Have someone hold in the clutch, or use a piece of wood, and inspect it from the bottom for disengagement.

If it is stuck together you can push start it and drive it in gear. With the clutch pushed in give it a little gas, hit the brakes, etc.

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
As Adam has said if it is stuck - get it out on the road and drive with the clutch pedal depressed. That generally breaks them away.

Steve340

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention just be gentle you might damage the clutch plate if you go animal.

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Well I figured it out! It turns out that the pressure plate fingers are too far apart and the throw out bearing slips off one finger thus only pushing on two of the three fingers. The throw out bearing is exactly the same as the one I took out so I assume that the pressure plate is not the correct. The pressure plate fingers are a good 1/2" larger diameter than the fingers on the clutch I took out. I feel foolish that I did not catch this sooner. Thanks for the help guys.

Back