• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stud/Lug Nuts

money pit

Reaction score
I bought a 8 3/4 rear end with posi. I noticed that the studs are 5/8 of an inch. Is this normal? Where do I get the lug nuts? The rear end is supposed to be out of an E body. Could this rear end be from a truck? it a 5 lug. Thanks

DrEamer

Reaction score
The studs should be 1/2 inch 20 (unified national fine thread) As far as I remember the 1/2 ton trucks also used the same lug nut if I recall correctly. If they are the 5/8, they may have been replaced possibly for racing purposes, or whatever. Also, the trucks used a 5 on 5.5 bolt circle, where the passenger cars used a 5 on 4.5 inch circle. As far as as lug nuts, it depends on the wheels. Most wheels use a conical/ tapered seat. There are some radiused/ ball seats on newer vehicles, so check before you buy. Both styles are easy to come by.

money pit

Reaction score
The studs should be 1/2 inch 20 (unified national fine thread) As far as I remember the 1/2 ton trucks also used the same lug nut if I recall correctly. If they are the 5/8, they may have been replaced possibly for racing purposes, or whatever. Also, the trucks used a 5 on 5.5 bolt circle, where the passenger cars used a 5 on 4.5 inch circle. As far as as lug nuts, it depends on the wheels. Most wheels use a conical/ tapered seat. There are some radiused/ ball seats on newer vehicles, so check before you buy. Both styles are easy to come by.
Do I need to replace the axles if I go back to 1/2 studs? I haven't tried to see if I have the correct configuration for my wheels. Thanks

DrEamer

Reaction score
Do I need to replace the axles if I go back to 1/2 studs? I haven't tried to see if I have the correct configuration for my wheels. Thanks

If the axle flanges were not drilled out for the bigger studs, then everything is fine. That said, even if they were drilled out, there may be a stud available that uses the the same hole size as the 5/8" stud, with a 1/2 inch threads. It has been a long time since I have had to deal with stud conversions, so I am going off memory here.

money pit

Reaction score
If the axle flanges were not drilled out for the bigger studs, then everything is fine. That said, even if they were drilled out, there may be a stud available that uses the the same hole size as the 5/8" stud, with a 1/2 inch threads. It has been a long time since I have had to deal with stud conversions, so I am going off memory here.
I think I'll remove one of the studs and try a 1/2 stud. Thanks for your help.

Back