• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Subframe connector question

gtxno1

Reaction score
Hi everyone doing a level 1 install US car tool are you guys priming the insides of your torque boxes and subframe connectors prior to weld in ?

gtxno1

Reaction score
What comes first I am assuming that the torque boxes get installed prior to the subframe connectors for the rear the way it looks to me please provide some helpful hints I did the right side front box getting the rear box fitment correct and then I assume the subframe connector

70chall440

Reaction score
You can do it in any order, I have done the boxes and then the SFCs as well as the other way around. That said, I personally like to do the SFCs first, in my mind it makes for a solid car but I readily admit that the torque boxes will not change anything if done first.

Mike H

Reaction score
Weld in the Torque boxes first, as they fit better that way. Don't forget to clearance around the spring steel tubing clips so they fit when you need them for your fuel and brake lines.
The hardest part about installing the SFC's is trimming them to fit correctly. Patience & more patience is the key. They are not an easy fit.
Don't forget to cut a notch in the passenger side SFC for the fuel lines, where the SFC meets the frame cross member.
The Parking Brake Cable on the driver side is another issue.
We make 2 offset elongated notches in the SFC so the cable runs correctly along the bottom of the floor pan and doesn't have to go over the SFC. It will work going over but doesn't look clean and correct.
We also cut 1 more elongated drain hole in each SFC, to match the 2 existing holes already in the bottom of the SFC's, to assist in the priming/painting process. 3 identical holes spaced correctly looks great.
Always use weld thru primer on any overlapping metal joint..
As for priming/paint protecting inside the boxes or SFC's, do it after welding because of all the heat. You can paint some of the inside before welding in, but you have to stay away from where you'll weld next. I have done it both ways. Your choice. Eastwood has different 2K spray cans just for this application. And you will be able to use their plastic spray hose extension, to get inside the frame or torque boxes. It really helps if you put a stiff wire like a coat hanger inside the plastic hose extension, that way it will stay straight & then you can bend it to spray at any angle when necessary.
And lastly, I hope you are doing this on a rotisserie, as doing this overhead would be a pain...
Good luck.

gtxno1

Reaction score
Yes on the rotisserie do you have a pic of the fuel line routing would be helpful purchased the car apart so I do not know where somethings wind up cloning an AAR so all is helpful I wanted a real one but once done may not want to drive a real one so I figured I will build one

Mike H

Reaction score
I don't have a great photo. But, the fuel lines run forward along the inside edge of the rocker, heading to the frame cross member, then make a 90* bend towards the center of the car and another 90* bend forward, thru the frame cross member. It's the only hole there before the Torsion bar hex. Guessing its 1 1/2" dia. with rolled edges to not chafe the fuel line. Then on up into the engine compartment.

gtxno1

Reaction score
You are right as to not being easy I have removed all material that has needed to be removed now there are a couple of spots that need adding

70chall440

Reaction score
I've done several sets on a lift and one set on a rotisserie and I will say that doing it on the rotisserie was the easiest. I am going to my 71 Charger on the rotisserie.

Back