• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Suggestions on OEM style bonded pads and shoes.

383RT

Reaction score
Rebuilding my brake system and was thinking of OEM style bonded pads and shoes. Does anyone have experience with a particular brand? My car is basically stock.

bc3j

Reaction score
I also have a stock 383 R/T and use the slider calipers up front and use a D84 organic pad with stock 11” drums in the back with regular brake shoes. I tried semi metallic but prefer the organic. It’s a personal preference thing. With the 11.75” rotors it was tuff to get any heat in the rotors for the semi metallics to work well. Again, it’s a personal preference thing. I believe the braking comes down to an individual feel. I’m just a cruise-in driver so I don’t need anything special. If I was doing more performance type driving I’d have a different setup.

Last edited:

383RT

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the input and I’ll do some research on those D84 pads.

moparleo

Reaction score
D84 is a size not a type. Try a set of Ceramic pads. Quiet, low dust, easy on the rotors. New rotors ?
Centric, Akebono, EC brakes, . If doing a complete rebuild ( highly recommended on any car this old ) Replace all hoses, complete flush of M/C Calipers and wheel cylinders. I inspect the metal brake lines as well. Just like rubber hoses they go bad from the inside out. When the M/C needs replacement, don't go rebuilt. Only new, major branded.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
The easiest way to do it is with a kit and get the one with the 73- up spindles. Mopar went to a larger bearing on them and the rotors are about 1/2 the price of the early 70-72 rotors.

Cudakiller70

Reaction score
Brake pads can be a personal choice. I prefer semi metallic, because I think they stop better.
If you go to rockauto and look up heavy duty brake pads their pretty much semi metallic pads for tow trucks and police cars. I’ll take dirty wheels and sacrifice rotors for more stopping power. I live in Krazyfornia and people here drive like nuts. Not everyone agrees with me just my preference.

383RT

Reaction score
Yes, because of the age and the fact that it’s been sitting 15 plus years , I’m going through everything. Stock rotors are still good, brake lines, valves, M/C and hoses are being replaced with Inline Tube pieces. Calipers and wheel cylinders have just been rebuilt. Planning on using DOT 5 fluid. I have a question though about the 73 and up spindles. Can you still use the stock 70’ pin style calipers with no issues?

Back