• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Summit ready to run distributor question, need help

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello all, Im installing a summit ready to run distributor in my 440 6brrl engine. The problem is the rotor does not align to the #1 cap location like the factory service manual shows.

The engine is at TDC on the compression stroke, the distributor drive gear is aligned to the cam/crank centerline per the FSM and the harmonic balancer is at 0 degrees(TDC). I have removed the driver side valve cover to expose the intake and exhaust rockers for cylinder #1. Both valves are closed.

When I install the factory distributor, the rotor is facing the #1 position on the distributor cap per the FSM. The Summit ready to run distributor's rotor is facing the engine's #2 cylinder (between 6 and 7 o'clock).

My question is, can I make the position that the rotor is facing in the summit distributor the #1 cylinder firing location and wire the spark plugs accordingly? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Remember 4 cycle go around again.Take the timing cover off and re check the cam install. Is the distributor 180 out?

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Since #1 and #2 are next to each other I would think you just rotate the housing until the rotor is pointing at #1.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello @Challenger RTA, The engine is completely assembled so taking the timing cover off would be difficult. When I installed the cam and the timing chain I aligned the dots as per the FSM and placed the distributor drive gear centerline parallel to the crank/cam. I have rotated the engine over and watched the intake/exhaust valves open and close until they are both closed and the harmonic balancer is at 0 degrees TDC. I removed the spark plug and confirmed the piston is up. The distributor is not 180 out. If I rotate the rotor 180 and place the dist back into the engine the rotor is now pointing between 1 and 2 o'clock.

Hello @DetMatt1, I cannot rotate the dist cap until the rotor is aligned with the #1 plug location due to clearance issues. The vacuum advance will hit the accessories or the intake manifold before reaching #1.

Thanks for your responses.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hello @Challenger RTA, The engine is completely assembled so taking the timing cover off would be difficult. When I installed the cam and the timing chain I aligned the dots as per the FSM and placed the distributor drive gear centerline parallel to the crank/cam. I have rotated the engine over and watched the intake/exhaust valves open and close until they are both closed and the harmonic balancer is at 0 degrees TDC. I removed the spark plug and confirmed the piston is up. The distributor is not 180 out. If I rotate the rotor 180 and place the dist back into the engine the rotor is now pointing between 1 and 2 o'clock.

Hello @DetMatt1, I cannot rotate the dist cap until the rotor is aligned with the #1 plug location due to clearance issues. The vacuum advance will hit the accessories or the intake manifold before reaching #1.

Still have your old distributor?

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Yes I put the factory distributor in the engine and the rotor is positioned at the #1 spark plug location. I think the summit ready to run distributor is physically different, maybe based off of Chevrolet design, and that is why the rotor location is different that the factory Mopar distributor.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
align the rotor to a terminal on the cap in a position where the housing doesn't interfere with the engine & wire #1 wire where the rotor is pointed , often the Blade on the drive is not at the same angle as factory but this is not a big deal .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

Ok that being said and confirmed. What method did you use to find top dead center. Example Dial indicator with heads off? was their any advance or retard cam keys used. Did you assemble the motor? It might be the physically different in advance.360 degrees is 360 degrees. It's a circle.I would install it as the others are suggesting.Mechanaly it won't hurt any thing.unless you get violent misfiring.

Last edited:

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello @Challenger RTA, To find TDC I did find it with the heads off using a dial indicator. I also degreed the cam using a dial indicator which confirmed everything was how it was supposed to be. I did not install the timing chain with any advance, I installed it dot to dot. I am going to contact Summit support to ask that same question or if they had seen this before. If it doesn't matter, I will run the plug wires off of what the summit RTR distributor #1 position is and match the factory plug wire positions from there. I'm so close to running the engine which hasn't run in over 20 years. I don't want to mangle it up....

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello @Chryco Psycho, That is what I was thinking but want to make sure that I can do that and that I wont mess up the engine. I'm going to contact Summit and see what information they have to offer.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You can put #1 cylinder in any position on the cap as long as you can line the rotor up to that terminal @ TDC , it makes no difference at all .

AUSTA

Reaction score
The other option is turn the distributor drive gear until the rotor lines up with number 1

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello @AUSTA, I never thought of that. Would that cause any issues with the timing of the valves opening and closing? I like this idea since the distributor's rotor would be facing the #1 position at the #1 cylinder TDC. Any thoughts?

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Rotating the distributor drive gear when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke seems to be the best way to go. That way the #1 position at TDC is what it should be in regards to the distributor cap etc. Thanks to everyone for your help in this matter.

TRipnip51

Reaction score
Hello all, Im installing a summit ready to run distributor in my 440 6brrl engine. The problem is the rotor does not align to the #1 cap location like the factory service manual shows.

The engine is at TDC on the compression stroke, the distributor drive gear is aligned to the cam/crank centerline per the FSM and the harmonic balancer is at 0 degrees(TDC). I have removed the driver side valve cover to expose the intake and exhaust rockers for cylinder #1. Both valves are closed.

When I install the factory distributor, the rotor is facing the #1 position on the distributor cap per the FSM. The Summit ready to run distributor's rotor is facing the engine's #2 cylinder (between 6 and 7 o'clock).

My question is, can I make the position that the rotor is facing in the summit distributor the #1 cylinder firing location and wire the spark plugs accordingly? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses.
I've been installing same setup on a friends 68 gtx 4 spd 440. He wanted to keep electrical looking stock or able to put back for shows. Our problem has been the wiring combo from ignition to coil. his car has brown blue and 2 straight blues on ballast. Need straight 12 v under stand that. Without adding a relay and more wire is there a way anyone has found out to do this? I have tied the 2 straight blues and ran to msd coil but get a voltage drop to 8-9 volts that wont run the coil and distributor. We have bypassed the ballast, volt reg and orange box as that was the intention. On my Challenger I spliced the blue and brown from column and ran my own 12 volt from panel to the splice an presto. I found the ble and brown from column but the 2 blues confuse me. Any help appreciated
Sorry for the lengthy report. message me for a phone # if needed. Msd said they had no mopar guys to help me!!! FYI

71droptop

Reaction score
I had to adjust the distributor drive gear to get my rotor to line up. Easiest way is to mark where the slot in the drive is now. Get a large straight longscrew driver and turn the gear counter clockwise. The drive will pop up and you can back your way around until the drive slot ends up where you want it.

Back