• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Template for AAR spoiler mounting?

heminut

Reaction score
I got an AAR type duckbill spoiler for my Cuda but it didn't come with any kind of template for drilling the mounting holes. I really don't want to just start measuring and attempting to drill the holes if there is some kind of template out there. I would even settle for a decent drawing with measurements if some one has something like that. This car is going to the bodyshop in a few days for a new paint job and I would like to have the mounting holes in place before it gets painted. Can anybody help me out with this?

heminut

Reaction score
After careful measuring, I got it figured out. There was a little angst when I started drilling holes in my decklid but everything lined up great! Got it mounted right where it's supposed to be and it looks great.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score

When you need technical drawings you might want to try this page. Surprisingly though I don't see the duck tail spoiler drawing in there. Maybe I'm missing it. There is a drawing of the hole detail.

gzig5

Reaction score
Does the AAR spoiler use any kind of reinforcements on the inside or just bolt it down? Can I ask where you got it and are you happy with the quality? I've seen a couple nasty looking ones at swap meets and nothing I'd want to mess with so far.

heminut

Reaction score
I got mine from the seller stripeclassics on eBay;

I had one of those cheap fibergalss shell type spoilers on there for years and this one is light years ahead of that thing! It is supposedly made identical to the originals and is made in the US. I was extremely impressed with it when I got my hands on it. It didn't need any reinforcements, I just had to get the holes drilled in the right location and I had to use a stepped hole saw on the underside of the decklid to make the holes there big enough to let me put the mounting nuts on with a socket.

I believe the gullwing type spoilers have a reinforcement plate that mounts on the underside of the decklid under the pedestals but I've never heard of any kind of reinforcement plates used on the AAR spoilers.

Sal C

Reaction score
I got mine from the seller stripeclassics on eBay;

I had one of those cheap fibergalss shell type spoilers on there for years and this one is light years ahead of that thing! It is supposedly made identical to the originals and is made in the US. I was extremely impressed with it when I got my hands on it. It didn't need any reinforcements, I just had to get the holes drilled in the right location and I had to use a stepped hole saw on the underside of the decklid to make the holes there big enough to let me put the mounting nuts on with a socket.

I believe the gullwing type spoilers have a reinforcement plate that mounts on the underside of the decklid under the pedestals but I've never heard of any kind of reinforcement plates used on the AAR spoilers.
Heminut,

I bought the same spoiler for my Cuda. Question. The T bolts seem to be straight forward but there's 4 screws with clip type nuts (see image I attached), I'm wondering where those go? Do you have any pics of your install?

Thanks...
70-aar-cuda-ta-challenger-rear-spoiler-mounting-hardware-kit-3.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
Heminut,

I bought the same spoiler for my Cuda. Question. The T bolts seem to be straight forward but there's 4 screws with clip type nuts (see image I attached), I'm wondering where those go? Do you have any pics of your install?

Thanks...View attachment 85346
There are two smaller square holes on each end of the spoiler on the bottom side and those clips slide into those holes, the front ones slide on towards the front edge of the spoiler and the back ones slide on towards the back of the spoiler. The screws go through holes in the outer flange of the deck lid (about 1/2" in from the edge), into the clips.

I just had my Cuda repainted and mounted the spoiler day before yesterday. Like a dummy, I should have taken pictures but didn't. I can get you a picture of the location of the screws on the underside in a couple of days when I get back home if that would help.

Sal C

Reaction score
There are two smaller square holes on each end of the spoiler on the bottom side and those clips slide into those holes, the front ones slide on towards the front edge of the spoiler and the back ones slide on towards the back of the spoiler. The screws go through holes in the outer flange of the deck lid (about 1/2" in from the edge), into the clips.

I just had my Cuda repainted and mounted the spoiler day before yesterday. Like a dummy, I should have taken pictures but didn't. I can get you a picture of the location of the screws on the underside in a couple of days when I get back home if that would help.
That would be great, thanks...

Sal

heminut

Reaction score
That would be great, thanks...

Sal
Here you go. Those screw holes are 1/2 inch in from the edge of the deck lid and they are spaced 1 & 7/8 inches and 4 & 7/8 inches from the rear lip of the decl lid, measured from the outer side of the lip.
spoilerR.jpgspoilerL.jpg

gtxno1

Reaction score
Not to hijack the post can you guys post a pic of the underside I need to cut the 4 squares in my deck lid so I could mount the duck bill thanks

heminut

Reaction score
Not to hijack the post can you guys post a pic of the underside I need to cut the 4 squares in my deck lid so I could mount the duck bill thanks
I can post a pic of mine, but I didn't cut the square holes on the underside. I drilled the topside holes all the way through and then used a rotary file in a drill to open up the holes underneath the deck lid big enough to put the nuts on. What I have is no where near as big as the factory square holes.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Not exactly what your looking for as I see no numbers, but it's a start.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Couple pictures here.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Here ya go. Definitely awesome pictures here! Cuda Cody helping again!

Post #2 and Post #3.

Back