• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The differences between a 22" and 26" core support?

Hemihead2

Reaction score
I have a 1970 RT/SE 383/Auto that I am slowly restoring. According to the build sheet it came with a 22" radiator which I found and already recored. However, I looked at the radiator support and it is clearly for a 26" wide radiator. I have no proof that it is original to the car. My question is: to make it a 22" radiator support, do I find a "filler" piece for the support itself or should the radiator have an extension piece mounted to the side bracket and use the existing holes for the 26" mount? Any ideas? Thanks!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I would question why the build sheet does not reflect the car. What was done to the car? Is it the original car body?

Hemihead2

Reaction score
I’m not sure that the core support hasn’t been replaced. The reason I asked the question is because I have seen NOS pieces that get welded to the 26” core support to accommodate the 22” rad.

moparlee

Reaction score
I’m not sure that the core support hasn’t been replaced. The reason I asked the question is because I have seen NOS pieces that get welded to the 26” core support to accommodate the 22” rad.
Does the VIN stamping on the radiator core support match the build sheet and fender tag or dash tag? Then you will know if it has been replaced.

Hemihead2

Reaction score
Yes- but I was trying to maintain originality. I may just do what you suggested though.

Back