• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The "mystery" Barracuda Gran Coupe velour seats..

Chryslerdude

Reaction score
Hello E-People

I previously vented my suspicion in the Photo Garage, about the odd Gran Coupe seat covers, with velour inserts being original. The the general perception was, that the velour had to be "a good repair job", but when I took the seat covers off the seats today, I was surprised to see that there were absolutely NO signs of this fabric being a later repair.

On the contrary, no lines of old stitching holes, anywhere, and both foam, uniform hog rings, intact tags (no result on Google), and everything else I saw indicated, that this were the original materials from assembly in juli, 1969..

I'm no upholstery expert, but I'm sure about these never having been apart before, and so was my long time mechanic buddy, who came by just as I did the disassembly! Check the pics, and if anyone with upholstery experience has any comments, I'd love to hear!

My plan was to bring them to Thailand (holiday in 2 days), and have new covers made in black leather, but if someone can confirm that they ARE in fact some "early version test run fabric", or something, I will reconsider my plans.. or, at least I'd ask if the guys to copy the covers, without cutting them up.

Thanks for looking, and comments !

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg
IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg
IMG_7764.jpg
IMG_7759.jpg
IMG_7761.jpg
IMG_7762.jpg
IMG_7766.jpg

Chryslerdude

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your opinion man..! In the mean time, I discovered that another FEBO member kindly pointed out in my photo garage Friday, that the buttons are correct, but in the wrong position. I hope more will join with their opinions, as it will help me to "do the right thing".. although everything points to this specific velour fabric to be "woven unobtanium", original or not.. ;-)K

Chryslerdude

Reaction score
Thank you very much.. :thankyou:
I actually had them made in Bangkok, in a small shop located a strange place, under a highway bridge, but at a really great price..

Both me and the "leather guy" was drunk already, around 1 AM when we met :D - but all the work he had done that morning (while drunk) - ready for pickup, was there on display, and everything looked really great, and at the price I got, and previous experiences with special order stuff" from Asia, I took the chance!!

Wife translated what he said, and he was funny.. When I picked up the covers, I gave him a decent tip for "a job well done", and he IMMEDIATELY told my wife, that he was going to buy alcohol for the money! 🥳

He also had a CRAZY aggressive "shop dog" in a big metal cage in the middle of the shop, barking prefusely, and gowling like a werewolf the whole time... Every now and then, he shouted some Thai profanity at the dog, and kicked the cage.. to make is shut up! Crazy experience.. More pics here, if anyone care to see..

I dictated the design, pretty detailed: Keep the over all original stitching pattern, but with "horizontal canal stitched perforated centers", leather front, vinyl back, and wife translated! I show him the Gran Coupé door panels too, to match the color of the piping. Pretty low tech.. and probably lucky too.. but the result was good!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I think it looks absolutely great.The piping and sticking really makes it! you made the right chose. The guy did a fantastic job!

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Thank you very much.. :thankyou:
I actually had them made in Bangkok, in a small shop located a strange place, under a highway bridge, but at a really great price..

Both me and the "leather guy" was drunk already, around 1 AM when we met :D - but all the work he had done that morning (while drunk) - ready for pickup, was there on display, and everything looked really great, and at the price I got, and previous experiences with special order stuff" from Asia, I took the chance!!

Wife translated what he said, and he was funny.. When I picked up the covers, I gave him a decent tip for "a job well done", and he IMMEDIATELY told my wife, that he was going to buy alcohol for the money! 🥳

He also had a CRAZY aggressive "shop dog" in a big metal cage in the middle of the shop, barking prefusely, and gowling like a werewolf the whole time... Every now and then, he shouted some Thai profanity at the dog, and kicked the cage.. to make is shut up! Crazy experience.. More pics here, if anyone care to see..

I dictated the design, pretty detailed: Keep the over all original stitching pattern, but with "horizontal canal stitched perforated centers", leather front, vinyl back, and wife translated! I show him the Gran Coupé door panels too, to match the color of the piping. Pretty low tech.. and probably lucky too.. but the result was good!
That’s a crazy story and the covers really do look great. Any pics of the shop, the craftsman or his dog?

Chryslerdude

Reaction score
That’s a crazy story and the covers really do look great. Any pics of the shop, the craftsman or his dog?
Hi Matt - No, unfortunately not.. I generelly don't take many pictures there.. but next time at the shop, I will.. and VIDEO that dog.. it was way above average aggressive.. sorta like the level of K9 ferociousness, displayed in that cartoon.. "Family dog" (the episode from "Amazing Stories"), where some weird lady trained their dog to be a dangerous guard dog. After theives emptied out the house (completely) a few times.

Check it out HERE.. and sorry about th poor video quality! Note the the perfectly imitated "breathing & mouth sounds" the dog make, in the car, on the way home.... turn up the sound! Those animators were SPOT on with the "dog behavior" 😆

Last edited:
Back