• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

The Original 12 Challenger 440-6 convertible Pilot Cars

340challconvert

Reaction score
I was thinking on the original 12 Challenger 440-6 convertible promo cars!
I thought the serial numbers were a little lower and were all red on red?

There was one for sale on Mecum Monterey with a white interior and serial #21 and was listed as a "pilot"
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible Pilot Car | F88 | Monterey 2019 | Mecum Auctions

vs

one that sold in 2010
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible | S190 | Kissimmee 2010 | Mecum Auctions
listed as a "promo" car"

Weren't all the promo Challengers in 1969 all red on red?
And is there a difference between the promo cars and a pilot car?

Dino2 (2).gif

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
There was a promo car featured in Mopar Action magazine Feb 2008 it was VIN JS27VOB100430 and it said it was the highest VIN of the known promo cars so far the next VIN down is 427. The promo cars had the black out on the hood, red trim, carpet and seat belts, black steering column and argent tail panel. The pilot cars were the very first of each body type sent down the production line to make sure they went together properly before full scale production begins. The promo cars would have gone down the line after full scale production began to show off all the new car features on the showroom floor, in advertisements and magazine tests and were like a burger with the lot so customers could see what you could get. I think the pilot cars would be much rarer and valuable then promo cars.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
Another thing I was thinking with the pilot cars some of the lower number VIN cars probably never made it out the door because of issues they may have had putting them together and some may have been used for crash testing to see how the joins held up after an impact so they could add or subtract spot welds or whatever to get it the way they wanted. This would be very important for the 1970 year model because it was a brand new design.

Last edited:
Back