• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

This is nuts......

mmissile

Reaction score
Do later e-bodies use rivets to hold the outer door cat-whiskers? When doing the body-work on my ragtop [nearly 20 years ago], I purchased NOS door-skins for the car. I just went to install the new whiskers, and found 1/8" holes, but no slots on the driver's side for installation. WTF??? Will this ever end???

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Mike, my 71 Challenger original doors had the 1/8" holes which lined up with the holes in my new cat whiskers. They are installed with 3/8" long #8 black sheet metal screws. Not sure what you mean about the "slots".

rbbruno3

Reaction score
70 doors have slots maybe some 71’s not sure about that so the whiskers are different

mmissile

Reaction score
Mike, my 71 Challenger original doors had the 1/8" holes which lined up with the holes in my new cat whiskers. They are installed with 3/8" long #8 black sheet metal screws. Not sure what you mean about the "slots".

Countersunk or what type of head?

Thanks again....

moparlee

Reaction score
Countersunk or what type of head?

A philips pan head. I just used a hardware zinc screw and painted them satin black.
images.jpg

69bfan

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
What year model of window felts did you purchase them for? As has been mentioned above, the 70 model used clips to hold the front door felts in place while in 71 and up, the door felts used an Auveco 672 screw. It sounds as if bought the 71 to 74 style felts, yet the door skin was a 70 skin. After being involved with the Topcat window felts for over 20 years, it is very common to find guys who find out that the doors have been swapped out over the years on their car.

The simplest means to alleviate this problem is to carefully bend the tabs that hold the clips in place to the window felt. Once the two tabs are bent up, flip the felt up and then carefully pry the clip from the felt. Then do this for the remainder of the clips. Once all of the clips are removed, roll the door glass all the way down and position the felt in place. Rock the felt slightly so that you can view the attaching holes and use a silver Sharpie, mark the location of the holes in relationship to the felts. This should get you very close to the approximate position of the attaching holes. Then take a sharp awl and punch the screw holes. You can drill them, but be careful not to allow the felt to twist as you hold it or it will bend.

Hope that this is a work around for you. I prefer not to bust up sets as the raw material is custom cut so as to eliminate waste and to maximize kit pieces from a single piece of material. If more questions, drop me a message.

mmissile

Reaction score
Thanks. All the 70 pieces were correct....but the left NOS door-skin was obviously for a later `cuda. Fortunately, the right skin was for a 70. Ya just don't look at stuff like that, when collecting NOS sheet-metal for a project.....especially 20 years ago. I need to find the maker of these things, so I can buy just the one piece.... as I'd rather not have a buggered-up piece on this car.

faamwn.jpg

Last edited:

mmissile

Reaction score
What year model of window felts did you purchase them for? As has been mentioned above, the 70 model used clips to hold the front door felts in place while in 71 and up, the door felts used an Auveco 672 screw. It sounds as if bought the 71 to 74 style felts, yet the door skin was a 70 skin. After being involved with the Topcat window felts for over 20 years, it is very common to find guys who find out that the doors have been swapped out over the years on their car.

The simplest means to alleviate this problem is to carefully bend the tabs that hold the clips in place to the window felt. Once the two tabs are bent up, flip the felt up and then carefully pry the clip from the felt. Then do this for the remainder of the clips. Once all of the clips are removed, roll the door glass all the way down and position the felt in place. Rock the felt slightly so that you can view the attaching holes and use a silver Sharpie, mark the location of the holes in relationship to the felts. This should get you very close to the approximate position of the attaching holes. Then take a sharp awl and punch the screw holes. You can drill them, but be careful not to allow the felt to twist as you hold it or it will bend.

Hope that this is a work around for you. I prefer not to bust up sets as the raw material is custom cut so as to eliminate waste and to maximize kit pieces from a single piece of material. If more questions, drop me a message.

LOL. I just looked at my weatherstrip, and see sharpie dots on it.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Quick question related to this topic AMD list their door skins as 70-74 what would they actually be? as in what of seals would fit these door skins?

Gerry

Reaction score
Do later e-bodies use rivets to hold the outer door cat-whiskers? When doing the body-work on my ragtop [nearly 20 years ago], I purchased NOS door-skins for the car. I just went to install the new whiskers, and found 1/8" holes, but no slots on the driver's side for installation. WTF??? Will this ever end???
I had this same problem,bought three different whiskers.The door skins that are made are all for the newer doors,but no one tells you this and sometimes they don't know themselves.Have to buy the newer ones.I replaced both of mine so I boight one set,you will have to buy two different sets to replace both sides.

Back