• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Thoughts on value

snewpy

Reaction score
Thoughts on value 1970 FM3 Challenger. Original 6cyl ,3speed floor shift, bucket seat. Now with 440 , 4 speed , ready for paint. needs interior redone ,suspension redone , ect , needs completely reassembled. Has build sheet, I have no pics to help.

snewpy

Reaction score
Ok not a test , let me simplify this , what would someones opinion be on the value of a 1970 FM3 car that was originally a 6cyl , that is now ready for paint , will need completely reassembled, has completely rebuilt 440 , and a 4 speed with it, that will need , lets say for S&G $6000 more invested less the paint job. You know what a 1970 challenger looks like , if I had pics I would post them.

moparleo

Reaction score
Well if you were trying to sell it since it is a roller. The cost of the parts plus the cost of a parts roller. The 440 could be a $1500. engine or a $5000. engine. Only you know what you have. so maybe 8K for a good, solid base roller plus what you have invested in it.
No other way to guess. It would be worth more if it wasn't an original slant 6 car. That makes a difference. In the end until it is a complete car, it is just parts.

70chall440

Reaction score
Its worth what someone will pay for it. I know that sounds smug but I have seen so many of these types of posts which ends up being what someone asks for their project. One guy might pay $10K, another $5K, depends on a wide variety of factors. Everyone who asks this question has a dollar figure in mind when they start and seem to be looking for validation.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Let's reverse this situation:
I'll give you two real-world Mopar purchases I've made. You take a stab at a rough estimate of what you think their approximate values should've been, and I'll respond with what I actually paid for each car. If you're selling, you won't like the results of this game. If you're buying, you'll absolutely love 'em.

Asking price is exactly what the name implies. Most of what I've asked for in life, I didn't get. Money talks, and it shouts the loudest when it's a "right here, right now, my-pocket-to-your-hand" offer. Asking prices don't pay the mortgage, dollars in hand do.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
How about this old stand by? What’s it worth done? - what’s it going to cost to get it there? = what it’s worth.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This how I work it out , the value when complete - the cost to get it finished properly .
There was an AAR for sale , I added up what was missing & the cost to complete the car & the resulting value , the body as it was was worth almost nothing even if you only broke even , if you wanted to actually get paid for your time the seller would have had to pay me to take the car ! Why work for free unless it is your absolute dream car & you are going to keep it forever ?
A saying that has stuck with me is " the $$ is made at the buy " if you buy it wrong you cannot make $$ .

budascuda

Reaction score
$$ is made at the buy "

That's advice on a new level, wow!

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Thoughts on value 1970 FM3 Challenger. Original 6cyl ,3speed floor shift, bucket seat. Now with 440 , 4 speed , ready for paint. needs interior redone ,suspension redone , ect , needs completely reassembled. Has build sheet, I have no pics to help.
With assembly required, no pictures, slant car that needs bodywork and paint, i'd say $4,000 to $5,000 tops.

I passed on a 71 Cuda blasted and in epoxy primer that needed everything for $4,800 delivered. Original 340 car Black with a White vinyl roof.

jdt

Reaction score
I have seen ads for fm3 cars asking crazy prices that are complete basket cases, it says ready for paint so I don't know why any body work would be needed. Reassembly is a positive thing , you know its done right. Being an E body , one of the rarest colors produced ,one year only option, completely rebuilt 440 is more than $4500, 4 speed, seems to me the car would be worth way more than $4500 or maybe even $8000 especially considering what finished A body cars are selling for.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
You might very well be right. 8K might be really low depending upon the actual car. Details details details.

Just a few simple pics with even grand ma's phone now a days would help with the valuation.

How about a hand written fender tag readout.

If the body is ready for paint, is there documentation of what was done to the body?
Was it rusty before?
What was replaced? Original parts or reproduction?

Was the interior color white? Or black?

Stripes?

So many other questions.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I too have seen fm3 challengers with terribly high asking prices for a while now. Not sure if they were actual "bought" prices though.

If you find someone that is specifically after FM3, the value will obviously go up.

I'm always looking for 1970 BH with M46. I'll gladly pay a premium for that code on the fender tag. Thousands really. I have a few rust buckets with that code. Value is determined by all the little items that are a person's special tastes.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Value is subjective , asking price means Nothing at all , what are real people actually willing to pay ?
Yes it is a real Pink car but not a real 440 spd car , that will matter to some but not others .
If you hit the right buyer at the right time you win the lottery but to the rest of the world the value may not be there .
Even having the body ready for paint means nothing , how well was the work done , lots can be hidden even with just primer on the body ?

Last edited:

jdt

Reaction score
I would think a bigger percentage of people would want the 440 4 speed rather than the original slant, I certainly would. The post says ready for paint so why question the quality of it , its just asking an opinion based on said information not a bunch of what ifs.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Because ready for paint means different stages to different people, I myself would have to know what's hidden under the previous body mans work.

snewpy

Reaction score
Bought 8700 sold in 4 months with out doing a thing never even moved it from purchase point. lets just say profit was way more than $4500

Back