• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tire Age

SpeedD408

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally took one of the tires off my '71 Cuda. I've had the Cuda for about 18 months and therefore there is a lot unknown about the car other than it looks fantastic. When I joined there was a post telling me to check the age of the tires as I have 4 ply Polyglass all the way around. The tire I pulled has DOT CYLD B5KJ235. The rim is a reproduction as it states made in USA 2015. This DOT code is pre 2000 and when I look up the code on line from what I can tell this would be 23rd week of the 5 decade. No way of knowing which decade (some say there will be a triangle at the end if it is in the '90's). Well I have no triangle. So here is the questions:

Is this F70-14 a reproduction tire (as it looks great with no cracking and some of the mold injection tags are still on it) or is this really a tire from around 1995?

The tire looks so good and with the rim being a 2015 reproduction, I'm tempted to say this is also a reproduction tire down to the DOT code.

Other than safety I really don't care. I've just read in a few places that old (6+ years) tires no matter how the look can come apart while driving. Not what I want to have happen. I plan on replacing them for 17x8 cast alum Mopar Ralley's from YearOne or Classic Ind. However, if what I have are really from 1995 that would move up the priority list.

Thanks,

Back