• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Topless ‘Cuda

Jonah Hex

Reaction score
I bought my ‘70 ‘Cuda hardtop a few years ago from a friend of mine for a ridiculously low price, considering it was a running and (mostly) drivable car. The problem is that it does not have a roof. At some point before my buddy bought it, someone decided to cut the roof off for reasons unknown. I would like to return the car back to hardtop status. I have looked on and off for a couple of years to locate a suitable donor, but have yet to locate one. I suppose I should mention at this point that I have never welded anything in my life.
Cudahunter asked me to post some pics of the car, so here they are. The A-pillars are intact, but everything else was cut flush (more or less) with the bottom of the rear window. In addition to a roof structure, it will need new rear quarters and a Dutchman panel. Input appreciated!
C625795A-A9DD-4021-ABA0-31DAB11C0E63.jpeg
F91B882E-6EA6-4A0F-941F-C12F8FA0FFE7.jpeg
3D16EEB5-C1DC-461F-AB04-59859B4F262C.jpeg
1A05F74C-E7CD-44D2-9AF6-670204CE1F0B.jpeg
FEAF6975-E883-45D4-A264-AE538B5AB459.jpeg
67628544-9DED-465F-B754-4AA54A5C6DCD.jpeg

5DE06E68-D74F-45F6-8F31-021EC95F6D97.jpeg

AD40CC27-4026-4100-93AC-FE9F742EDF18.jpeg

340challconvert

Reaction score
I would first get body service manuals.
Use the 1971 manuals for your 70 Cuda; they have separate Body Service and Chassis Service manuals with details you will need to put your Cuda hardtop back together body wise.
Secondly, start browsing the AMD catalog once you determine the body structural and body panels you will need. The manuals will come in handy in giving you an idea as to what you are missing or is damaged.
Not an easy job; wish you well with your endeavors with the restoration.

(Manuals are free on "mymopar" site.

Service Manuals – MyMopar
Body Components

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Wow! They really did a number on that car!
That will be a pretty complicated restoration.
If you have never used a welder before, no better time to learn than the present.
Otherwise, you will definitely want to get all the parts put together before taking it to a metal man.
Looks like the front wasn't too cut out and is savable.
Looks great from a distance!

If the interior got any cuts and is not reusable after rebuild, you might consider getting one of those leather covers that snap on the front and the rear of the cut out parts to cover the quarters and the holes. That way you could still drive it for a short while and get any kinks worked out while you gather parts for the roof.

Thanks for the pics!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It appears to have been an original fc7 car. I have to ask the age old question, what's the fender tag readout?
Looks like the previous owners painted the chrome bumpers and removed the cornering lights. Did they mod up the entire car? Does look like they had a plan, but didn't execute it thoroughly.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Head to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap MiG welder. Play around with it. I bought my MiG back in 1988 and learned. There were no YouTube vids nor many resources at the time. You’re blessed with YT and with the Web.

70chall440

Reaction score
Well on the one hand it "looks" pretty good from a distance... lol Obviously you are going to need a donor car, I'd reach out to Stephens Performance (AL) or Wildcat Salvage (OR) and see if you can get an entire roof structure.

This is a big job but if you take it slow, do a lot of mock up you can get it done. You are going to need to install the inner structure first, then put a roof skin over the top and probably have to patch in a part of the quarter panels. This will be one of the bigger challenges as welding there can create a lot of warpage if you put too much heat into it which will only cause you bigger headaches. Spot welds are going to be your friend.

rklein71

Reaction score
Don’t be scared of the welding, not that hard, especially plug welds that will be doing to replicate spot welds. You can do it!

rklein71

Reaction score
I have a bunch of pictures I took of my car when I tore mine apart for new quarters, trunk, and Dutchman panel. I can get those to you when you are ready.

DC1D5E3F-17CE-43AC-87D0-FB4A60228663.jpeg

Jonah Hex

Reaction score
Thanks for the links! Yes, it is an original FC7 car. Unfortunately, it does not have the fender tag. The seller thought he had it but, he has been unable to locate it. Divorce was involved, so it is doubtful it will ever show up 😢. The cornering lights were removed and filled in prior to my purchase. The bumpers are fiberglass replacements also. The VIN tells me that it was originally a 383-4bbl 330-335 horse that was built in Los Angeles, but beyond that I couldn’t say with any certainty.
It currently has a 318 with a 1968 manual trans 340 cam, and 340 exhaust manifolds.
Looks like welding will have to be added to my knowledge base!
Very nice looking ‘71 you have there! I will definitely give you a shout when I am ready to do the quarters and Dutchman panel.
Thanks everyone for the input, advice, and support! I’ll contact Stephens and Wildcat to see if they have a donor roof.
On a side note, I did find a guy that has a ‘Cuda roof that might (maybe?) fit the bill, but he wants $1000 for it. I would have to see it in person before laying out that kind of coin, though.
Here a couple of pics of it…
3BFFF482-5754-4980-BFAD-52FCA69C04E5.jpeg
30F55040-E34B-481A-B07B-D0909CE2A885.jpeg
It would be a start if there is enough of the inner structure to overlap (or butt up to) where mine is cut, but it is hard to tell from the pics. It looks like there is only an inch or two below the skin seams. What do y’all think?

Jonah Hex

Reaction score
It’s an 8 1/2 hour drive, one way.
Looks like a weekend road trip may be in my future.
My brother always says that the sun shines on a dog’s butt every once in a while and that I am the luckiest person he has ever seen!

Montclaire

Reaction score
I would have someone who knows what they are doing put that car back together. Who knows how much that body has sagged/twisted from the top getting chopped off. I believe AMD is making the inner panels that you need to join that donor roof to the rear structure. I'm not sure what the best way would be to tackle the A-pillars.

Montclaire

Reaction score
These cars had a lot of variance built in, so it's possible that it's still ok but I'd want to get it on a frame rack to know for sure. Unless it's got frame ties, the rockers are the only thing holding it together right now.

gzig5

Reaction score
That piece would be a great start for the repair. Wouldn't take much to fit it once it is in place. All the ugly would be hidden inside.
I'd be temped to just make a nice tonneau cover for it and drive it topless after the body was reinforced between the wheel wells.

Jonah Hex

Reaction score
How’s The align on the doors? Do they work ok?
Driver’s door is fine and looks even at the gaps. Passenger door sticks ever so slightly when opening. Gap is not great, but I have seen worse on newer cars. May just be bad or mis-aligned door. Something to look at too.

fasjac

Reaction score
Thanks for the links! Yes, it is an original FC7 car. Unfortunately, it does not have the fender tag. The seller thought he had it but, he has been unable to locate it. Divorce was involved, so it is doubtful it will ever show up 😢. The cornering lights were removed and filled in prior to my purchase. The bumpers are fiberglass replacements also. The VIN tells me that it was originally a 383-4bbl 330-335 horse that was built in Los Angeles, but beyond that I couldn’t say with any certainty.
It currently has a 318 with a 1968 manual trans 340 cam, and 340 exhaust manifolds.
Looks like welding will have to be added to my knowledge base!
Very nice looking ‘71 you have there! I will definitely give you a shout when I am ready to do the quarters and Dutchman panel.
Thanks everyone for the input, advice, and support! I’ll contact Stephens and Wildcat to see if they have a donor roof.
On a side note, I did find a guy that has a ‘Cuda roof that might (maybe?) fit the bill, but he wants $1000 for it. I would have to see it in person before laying out that kind of coin, though.
Here a couple of pics of it…
View attachment 82624View attachment 82625It would be a start if there is enough of the inner structure to overlap (or butt up to) where mine is cut, but it is hard to tell from the pics. It looks like there is only an inch or two below the skin seams. What do y’all think?
Keep his info handy! Looks to be a great option at this point. Obviously, you guys need to get some good measurements prior to calling it. Good luck to you

Cuda416

Reaction score
Depending on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole, dynacorn sells these... You might be able to get them to sell you the parts before they assemble a side. You're going to need more than just they roof. I would, as others have said, jump on it.

Back