• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Torsion Bar Dust Boots/ steering coupler.

money pit

Reaction score
I have a 70 barracuda. I'm replacing the torsion bar dust boots. Is there a trick to get the boot over the large end of the torsion bar? I tried silicone spray. I replaced these on my 73 challenger. I don't remember having this much trouble. After an hour, I gave up.
Also, I rebuilt the steering coupler. Is there a trick to install it back on the steering gear. Do I have to loosen the steering gear. I have the steering column loose. I have the coupler half way on. I'm about a half inch until I can insert the roll pin. Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
Silicone + hot water i put them on backwarks first & let them stretch a bit
Or push them over a socket or something else that is tapered to let them stretch i notice the new 1 from firm feel with the 1.03 bars has split since being fitted

money pit

Reaction score
Silicone + hot water i put them on backwarks first & let them stretch a bit
Or push them over a socket or something else that is tapered to let them stretch i notice the new 1 from firm feel with the 1.03 bars has split since being fitted
Thanks. I'll try the hot water and socket.

moparlee

Reaction score
I just used bearing grease on mine and really pulled. Thought they would tear but ended up ok. If you lubricated the splines and lined up the "flat" spline groove it should just go on with some light taps.

money pit

Reaction score
I just used bearing grease on mine and really pulled. Thought they would tear but ended up ok. If you lubricated the splines and lined up the "flat" spline groove it should just go on with some light taps.
I have everything lined up. I have the engine out of the car so I can see the splines. I marked the coupler and gear box before pulling it. I think I may need to loosen the gear box to help with the alignment.
I don't know why they make these boots so tight. Thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
Yes may need a couple of taps with a soft mallet the steering rod is telescopic if the shaft was prised off the spine it would have travelled up into the steering housing

money pit

Reaction score
Yes may need a couple of taps with a soft mallet the steering rod is telescopic if the shaft was prised off the spine it would have travelled up into the steering housing
Thanks

Back