• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission linkage problem

Railroadrider

Reaction score
Can't get the torque shaft to clear our hooker headers unless the bracket that bolts to the block is turned upside down. Then the alignment where the bracket bolts to the frame member is all wrong. When the transmission was overhauled, 30 plus years ago, the linkage was cobbled together, unbeknownst to me, and now quit working. That is, it won't go into park. Looking at it now, it's a wonder it worked this long. So far, the only thing I can think to do is create a new place to mount the bracket on the frame rail and then shorten the front rod. If you have access to a factory service manual the pic is on pg. 21-60, figure 96.

EW1BH27

Reaction score
When I had cheapie headers on my 318/auto they came with a modification sheet. I don't know if this is useful to you or not but since I still had it just thought I'd pass it on.

Attachments

• HeaderMod.jpg
    HeaderMod.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 117

Railroadrider

Reaction score
Somehow this thread ended up in my junk folder. Glad I checked before deleting. I'll put your diagram/picture up for a good study tomorrow.

Qtip

Reaction score
Somehow this thread ended up in my junk folder. Glad I checked before deleting. I'll put your diagram/picture up for a good study tomorrow.
My experience, don't be shy about bending said linkage. I had to " finesse" mine, as long as it is minimum. Good luck to you my friend.

Railroadrider

Reaction score
So, I spent several hours installing and removing the linkage and making “adjustments” each time. I think I’m down to the last tweak. The “front bar,” that attaches to the transmission is now just a little too long. The rest of the movement is quite smooth now that I have it all aligned with each other. I’m hoping to get back to it tomorrow. Thanks for your inputs, which gave me the courage to attack it the way it needed to be. Actually, the hardest part of the whole thing is working with the left side only about 14” off the ground.

Back