• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission questions

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I was reading through Matt's restoration of his 71 vert.
I noticed he did this to his 727 in post #102
I'm wondering if I can do the same modifications to my 203 4x4 727. Anyone have an answer for this question?

This is post 102.
Here are a few of the improvements made to my trans. I found a used late '90s 46RE on Craigslist as a doner for some of the mods. The valve body got a shift improver kit and the oem steel check balls were replaced with the composite ones from the 46RE as they don't beat up the separator plate like the steel ones.
New TCI HP intermediate sprags.
New style dimpled input bushing in pump housing for improved oiling.
Replaced main output shaft bearing.
Back planetary set was replaced from the oem 3 gear set to the 4 gear from the 46RE.
Front clutch pack springs went from the 9 originals + 3 reds from the 46RE to = 12.
Front clutch pack bushing replaced with new updated grooved style for improved oiling.
Front clutch pack discs changed from 4 oem to 5 Alto-red .062 discs.
Back clutch pack discs changed from 3 oem to 4 alto-red .062 discs.
Kick down apply lever changed from 3.2 oem to 3.8.
New front and rear bands, good ones.
6 1/2" washers used as blocker in the low/reverse apply piston assembly.
Removed casting flashings from case(one was dangerously close to falling off which would have been disasterous)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I was reading through Matt's restoration of his 71 vert.
I noticed he did this to his 727 in post #102
I'm wondering if I can do the same modifications to my 203 4x4 727. Anyone have an answer for this question?

This is post 102.
Here are a few of the improvements made to my trans. I found a used late '90s 46RE on Craigslist as a doner for some of the mods. The valve body got a shift improver kit and the oem steel check balls were replaced with the composite ones from the 46RE as they don't beat up the separator plate like the steel ones.
New TCI HP intermediate sprags.
New style dimpled input bushing in pump housing for improved oiling.
Replaced main output shaft bearing.
Back planetary set was replaced from the oem 3 gear set to the 4 gear from the 46RE.
Front clutch pack springs went from the 9 originals + 3 reds from the 46RE to = 12.
Front clutch pack bushing replaced with new updated grooved style for improved oiling.
Front clutch pack discs changed from 4 oem to 5 Alto-red .062 discs.
Back clutch pack discs changed from 3 oem to 4 alto-red .062 discs.
Kick down apply lever changed from 3.2 oem to 3.8.
New front and rear bands, good ones.
6 1/2" washers used as blocker in the low/reverse apply piston assembly.
Removed casting flashings from case(one was dangerously close to falling off which would have been disasterous)
I would all but guarantee that you can but I’ll check with my buddy who did the work. A 727 is a 727 and that includes the 904, the 46’s, etc..

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Well, the 203 727 4x4 has a shorter main shaft than the 205 727 4x4. That's why I ask. The 4x 203 has a different rear section than a 2x or the 205 4x.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I can tell that the splines changed on the output shaft in 75 or 76 to a little different angle. So the planetaries don’t interchange. One set will slide on the other shaft but will be loose fitting on the shaft. Then they will strip out. The other way the planetaries won’t even go on the shaft. Other mods will work. Kim

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I'm having the transmission rebuilt stock. Not that happy about that. The transmission guy in my county is unsure of the mods on the 4x4 727.
@DetMatt1 Did you happen to have a chance to talk with your transmission builder?
Are there any other items to include with the list I quoted from you above?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The date code will be on the pan rail. For starters you need to acquire the doner 46R trans because you need some parts out of it. I have more records on this at my shop. What year is this truck?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
It's a 77 Ramcharger. 74 440, 77 203 transfer case, Transmission came from a yard with no I.D. Auto transmission mounted right up to 77 transfer. Thousands of miles on the transmission. My first auto transmission rebuild (with my best friend and ase mechanic over my shoulder). It's been running in the truck for 17 years. 203 727 4x4 . If it were the wrong size shaft, as mentioned by Kim, it would have failed already. I've twisted two main drive shafts right in half.

OldComputerHardDrive 9557.JPG

OldComputerHardDrive 3963.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I've had the transmission rebuilt with heavier parts. Also sending the drive shafts out for balancing.

The old guy, Ken, at Ken's transmissions told me that I messed up my transmission when I did the manual shift conversion back then. Pretty much told me I'm an amateur. Funny old fella. Tell's it how it is.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
turns out that I had broken the rear extension housing on the transmission. On the top of it non the less. Where the top bolt goes through.
Replaced that piece. Funny, I still can't find one of these transmissions for a spare, but they found the rear extension in one day. Helps to be a Professional trans rebuilder huh?
He installed a heavy duty sprag and a new manual valve body. I think the sprags are the only thing that was replaced that is heavy duty.

I always enjoy talking with the old fellas in their shops. He walks me around the shop and explains everything about the transmission. He just explains how easy it is to rebuild a transmission. Thought I was funny when I told him about me rebuilding it 20 years ago. I like to laugh at amateurs in my business also.

Back