• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk divider panel

heminut

Reaction score
I am missing the divider panel that goes between the rear seat back and the trunk. I can buy a new one but the shipping is as much or more than the panel itself. I have no problem making my own if I could find the material to use for it. Right now, the best solution I can come up with id 1/8" masonite, but that stuff is pretty stiff. Does anybody here have a suggestion of something that might work better? I'm not trying to be factory correct, I just want to quiet down the noise from the trunk area when driving.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
I just cut a thin piece of carpet and fits good and keeps the noise out and seals better than the original IMO.

heminut

Reaction score
I don't think carpet is stiff enough to stay flat in place on it's own. If I can find something to cut out and put in there I intend to glue some carpet padding on it for sound insulation.

70chall440

Reaction score
Yep, use some chip board or even some thin plywood type board such as MDF (Home Depot has some thin boards over where they keep the peg board stuff) and then cover it is some sound deadener, you can wither paint the trunk side or cover it in black sound deadener.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
You could also look at using foam core board. Light, easy to cut, and doesn't sag.

I believe there is also a jute piece that goes with this original panel? Maybe substitute that with the carpet pad if you are concerned with sound attenuation. Good luck.

WDO72

Reaction score
1/8" Black PVC may be your solution. It's both rigid and flexible. Easy to cut with a jigsaw. Can be shaped with a heat gun if needed, and you can attach sound dampening materials to it as previously mentioned. I use it all the time in my industry. You may be able to purchase it at Tap Plastics or definately on line. Best of luck.

heminut

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! There's some good suggestions here that I can look into. I want to source something locally rather than on the internet, I would run into the same shipping expenses for something big enough to cut a panel out of as what I'm trying to avoid with the precut panels. Shipping is .50 cents less than the cost of the panel!

heminut

Reaction score
You could also look at using foam core board. Light, easy to cut, and doesn't sag.

I believe there is also a jute piece that goes with this original panel? Maybe substitute that with the carpet pad if you are concerned with sound attenuation. Good luck.
That is a great idea! We have a local sign place that has coreplast, the corrugated plastic that they use for campaign signs that would probably work really well. Thanks!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
That is a great idea! We have a local sign place that has coreplast, the corrugated plastic that they use for campaign signs that would probably work really well. Thanks!
That's also a good idea. The divider panel I believe is also consider to confine air infatuation. I Think one should also use a 3/16 or 1/8"foil self adhesive sound deadener mat on one side or both.might make a difference.

heminut

Reaction score
That's also a good idea. The divider panel I believe is also consider to confine air infatuation. I Think one should also use a 3/16 or 1/8"foil self adhesive sound deadener mat on one side or both.might make a difference.
Dude, are you hiding somewhere around my computer desk? I was just on Amazon looking for insulation just like you described to do that!
:rofl:

heminut

Reaction score
Buddy of mine that runs a T-shirt shop hooked me up with a piece of coreplast for free! I just need to get some stick on insulation for it.

Back