• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk latch

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
New member. Not very good on computers. I hope this is where you post tech questions. I have a 72 Cuda. It was a drag car. Welded in cage. Glass hood, fenders, trunk lid , valance, etc. Tubbed. Fuel cell. No interior, no fender or door tag. You get the idea. No historical or high retail value. Original blue. When I bought it, it was Viper yellow. The 1st Cuda I ever saw was a green AAR in 1971. In my mind, it was the most beautiful car I'd ever seen. Still is. Anyway, I don't have the funds for a real AAR Cuda. Bought this car for $10,500. I'm building it as a street machine (at least that's what we called them back in the day) with an AAR slant. Because its cheaper than converting to an AAR clone. Sassy grass green, original interior, built 383/ 4 spd. After market ralley wheels. AAR front and rear spoilers. Sorta like an AAR option might look if they offered it in 1972. Anyway, as you can imagine, many parts are just gone. It's my 1st and probably only Cuda so I don't even know what some of these sub assemblies look like. Does anyone have any pics of the trunk latch, the linkeage rod and the trunk lock assembly? Need to know how they hook together. The very few pics I can find on the internet of this area I can't see because of the trunk rod cover.
The build is going well. I bought an AMD hood, fenders, trunk lid, front valance, rear speaker shelf,(was cut out for roll cage),and hood and trunk hinges(cut off for roll cage). Its painted from the firewall to the tail panel. I removed the air shocks (did not care for the ride) and ordered Eaten 2" higher leaf springs with new shackles and QA1 shocks. It sits a little too high but I think it will settle a bit. The stance is not popular today but this 60 year old "kid's" taste in cars is still stuck in the 70's. Very happy with the quality and fitment of AMD's sheet metal. Converting from the auto trans. to the 4 spd. as soon as paint is done. Want to drive this summer. Eventually putting in interior and replacing missing and worn out parts the next few years as I get the funds.
Thanks in advance for any pics you can share.
Denny

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

If someone doesn't have pics readily available I can get you a pic or two in the next day or so. Once the snow stops. Ugh.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You might find pics in builds or other cars.

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
Thanks! It's going to be 12 below zero here in Iowa tomorrow.

Last edited:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
These are not on the car but you can get the idea. The short rod is off a 70 the long rod is off a 73. The locksets are different too.The lockset pictured goes to the 70.(rod held on by a clip) The one for the 73 is broke, but you can see the nut on the back to hold it on photo (13).jpgphoto (12).jpg

photo (13).jpg

photo (12).jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
If you have a computer and printer, then the best thing to do is to get a factory service manual for your year/make/model and then you can look up and print most of the info and diagrams needed to restore your car. There are many companies on line the sell these.

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
If you have a computer and printer, then the best thing to do is to get a factory service manual for your year/make/model and then you can look up and print most of the info and diagrams needed to restore your car. There are many companies on line the sell these.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Really appreciate it. I bought this latch/lock assembly from a fella on ebay but it had the long rod and no clips. Then last week, I ordered the whole sub assemby from Bill Meerholz Enterprises. I just wanted a pic to verify how I thought it was(clips up or down). Bill is in his 70's and drag raced a 71Cuda back in the day. A pic of his Cuda is on his website. He also has an AAR Cuda. Back in 1970, a guy bought the AAR and drove it a while, decided to convert it to drag race, disassembled the car, got side tracked, and then stored it until about 8 years ago. Bill found out about it, bought it and reassembled it. I think he told me it has about 6000 miles on it. it's totally factory correct and a great reference for AAR's. Bill sells alot of factory correct small parts for Cuda's. He replates parts to the factory correct finish, and rebuilds certain parts. He's researched Cuda's extensively, is a very nice guy, and great to deal with. I've purchased parts from him a half dozen times this year and have never been disappointed.
In using this forum, I wondered what "reply with quote" means. Also, a popup box I think it's called web viewer comes up about looking at messengers from members. Do I need to download this to see messenges?
Thanks again to all of you for your responses.
Denny

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
It would be fun to post pics but I don't know how. I'll try to figure it out. I have them on my PC. I just have to figure out how to take them from My Pictures to this forum. It was 19 below zero in Iowa today. Really looking forward to Spring.

ramenth

Reaction score
That's the rest of the story. Thanks Robert

I did that a while ago... Probably should move it out of the classifieds and in to the information forum.

Or make it a sticky on the welcome wagon, since that's where a lot of our folks head when they get here.

Back