• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trunk torsion bars question

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I have just been reading about trunk torsion bars on this forum and people saying that the 71 models went to a single TB. Well my 71 Chal has the double TBs with the slots on both sides and everything all original factory looking, the same as my 73 Rallye. So I'm not sure what happened there. Maybe it was an early production, but can't find the D.O.M. ; I have posted that question in the next thread.

Anyway, I am putting the torsion bars back after putting the decklid back on but I'm not sure of the steps for installation. The Body Manual is quite vague about it with no detail. Has anyone done a few of these and knows the steps? My decklid has the Gull Wing so I need to use the rearward slots and as well I am not sure about those curved slots that are facing the rear (at the top, just under the lid seal area, see attached picture). Does each bar lock into the end of that slot?

Also, do the TB ends go into the desired adjusting slot first, then tension applied at the hinge cam, then the bars put into those rear facing lock slots? The attached drawing from the manual doesn't show these curved slots but I have put in two red arrows showing the location of them.

Also when does that slide roller go on, last thing with tension on, I assume?

On my Dart Hardtop, with the TB's all installed I tried to move the TB into a new slot and it was incredibly difficult. So I am wondering if the end of the bars go into the chosen adjusting slot first?

Thanks (sorry for long post)

Thanks for assistance.

Snapshot from 71 Body Manual.jpg

ScottG

Reaction score
It has been a bit since I installed mine, but I am pretty sure I put the adjustment end in the slot first then finished pulling the other end down under the hinge itself and installed the slider. Make sure you put something to prop the trunk up while you do this. Makes one less thing to fight with.

I don't remember it being very hard to do after playing with it for a few minutes.

Back