• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Trying to find original dealership

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
Anyone have a shipping list or a verifiable method of knowing which dealer sold my 70 Cuda when it was new? I have finally got it parked in my garage and I want to get an original license plate frame if I can.

70chall440

Reaction score
You need to track its history via previous owners, if that is not possible I think you are out of luck (could be wrong). If you can get back to any owners back in the 70's you can probably assume that the car is from somewhere near there (wherever the owners were/are) but that isn't super accurate.

There might be services which will research the VIN and see if it pops up in any state databases but I am not sure.

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
You need to track its history via previous owners, if that is not possible I think you are out of luck (could be wrong). If you can get back to any owners back in the 70's you can probably assume that the car is from somewhere near there (wherever the owners were/are) but that isn't super accurate.

There might be services which will research the VIN and see if it pops up in any state databases but I am not sure.
I was chasing a 69 Charger for a while and was able to track down info on that on FBBO site. Someone popped up and had a shipping list and simply needed to cross reference the VIN. Very helpful. I figure someone somewhere has that for Cuda's & Challengers?

70chall440

Reaction score
I have never seen or heard of anything like that put I guess its possible. I have not doubt that a list like that existed at some point, but who might have a copy now is anyone's guess.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
If you have the window sticker I think it's on there. Not sure if it it's on broadcast sheet. I'll look.// YES on window sticker.// Not on broadcast sheet.only sales code. Y14 sold car sales bank.

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
You would need more information, but here is a web search site for Dodge Dealerships prior to 1980.
Did you do a VIN search, or have any previous ownership/sales materials? Mopar Dealerships had an assigned ID number.
Is your car a California car with an E production letter? That could narrow it down,
You could start to track it back.
I tracked mine through the serial number and found my original owner on FB.
I looked it up on the maxwedge site.
You never know; put your SN out on Mopar sites and see what comes up

Good luck with your search

Last edited:

57fury440

Reaction score
I bought my '72 Barracuda new from the dealer. Around here none of the dealers I knew of used license plate frames on delivery like they do today. Mine came with a sticker on the tail panel. I peeled if off and it is still on the inside of my trunk lid. Some dealers drilled holes and put a metal dealer nameplate on the back of the cars they sold. I told the salesman at the time that if they drilled any holes they could keep that one and order me a new one.

heminut

Reaction score
I bought my '72 Barracuda new from the dealer. Around here none of the dealers I knew of used license plate frames on delivery like they do today. Mine came with a sticker on the tail panel. I peeled if off and it is still on the inside of my trunk lid. Some dealers drilled holes and put a metal dealer nameplate on the back of the cars they sold. I told the salesman at the time that if they drilled any holes they could keep that one and order me a new one.
I knew a guy back in the mid 70s that told the local Chevrolet dealership that they had to take $200 off of the price of the car if they wanted to put their logo on the trunk lid, he wasn't going to advertise for them for free! They left the logo off of the car.

Adam

Reaction score
National Insurance Crime Bureau, or NICB has all these records, I do not know how long they keep them. But as a former auto theft detective I would occasionally call them to help track a car. They would have the name of the ship! Imported cars arrived on, the port of entry, the name of the dealer it was sent to, the name of the first buyer. Same for domestic cars. They also had the color of the car, and secondary vin locations, which the DMV could not tell you. Unfortunately the NICB, which is a private company, would not give out information to the general public. But if you know a detective… or maybe an insurance investigator they could call for you. Worst thing they can say is no.

Admittedly, that is a lot to go thru to find the original dealer. You should just try tracking down vintage plate frames that are in good condition. I had my original plate frame, it was heavily pitted. I could not find a good one from any dealer that was in any better shape. They are made from very cheap metal..

Last edited:

Snakedoctor

Reaction score
National Insurance Crime Bureau, or NICB has all these records, I do not know how long they keep them. But as a former auto theft detective I would occasionally call them to help track a car. They would have the name of the ship! Imported cars arrived on, the port of entry, the name of the dealer it was sent to, the name of the first buyer. Same for domestic cars. They also had the color of the car, and secondary vin locations, which the DMV could not tell you. Unfortunately the NICB, which is a private company, would not give out information to the general public. But if you know a detective… or maybe an insurance investigator they could call for you. Worst thing they can say is no.

Admittedly, that is a lot to go thru to find the original dealer. You should just try tracking down vintage plate frames that are in good condition. I had my original plate frame, it was heavily pitted. I could not find a good one from any dealer that was in any better shape. They are made from very cheap metal.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking to do. I'd ultimately like to get a plate frame. And possibly create a duplicate window sticker.

PPIHCracer

Reaction score
Anyone have a shipping list or a verifiable method of knowing which dealer sold my 70 Cuda when it was new? I have finally got it parked in my garage and I want to get an original license plate frame if I can.
You need to contact Ola Nilsson. I know he wrote the book on 71 Cudas but he is a wealth of knowledge and may be able to help with a 70. As I understand it, the first two numbers in the VON, Vehicle Order Number, are the zone code. Knowing this will get you in the region the original dealership was located. The problem becomes when the car was diverted to a different zone. Maybe the dealer in one zone made a deal with a dealer in a different zone for a specific car. That is where the ownership trail becomes critical.

ted s

Reaction score
data data base is not available to the public

Back