• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Update & Thanks For Your Help!

sir_veza

Reaction score
Hello, From what was originally thought to be a shifter issue late last season turned into a bigger issue.
As some of you may remember my 4 speed (A833) was getting stuck in 3rd gear. Granted the shifter was a little sloppy so over the winter ordered a Hurst Competition II ready for installation in April of this year. Turns out the issue was a little more complex. Seems the guy who rebuilt the transmission in 2018 may have cut some corners in the process.
After getting some solid advice from Chryco I paid particular attention to the 3/4 synchro and sure enough it was worn, as was the dog gear and the input shaft.
Ordered the respective parts and had them installed but the issue wasn't resolved. Tried playing around with the stop bolts but the issue kept happening, a little less but still happening! The route cause was a little more of a mystery.
By now it was already the end of May and my frustration level was reaching the boiling point! Called Wayne Brewer for his advice. He said he had a hunch that maybe the issue was somewhat related to the side cover and also to check the 3/4 shifter fork for wear. Early June and a good buddy of mine had me drive up to his place in Erin, Ontario as he has a hoist. Took the side cover off and looked at the guts but nothing really jumped out as damaged, but the 3/4 shifter fork did look worn on the ends and scuffed across the top.
Bit the bullet and ordered both 3/4 fork & 1/2 fork (what the heck). Also ordered a new side cover kit, (based on the s/n it was the pre '71 version). Installed everything and it's been fine - no issues (knock on wood) since.
Route cause - It's possible the guy who rebuilt the transmission in 2018 either used garbage parts and or installed the side cover incorrectly.
Thanks again Chryco, Leo and everybody else for your help!
Transmission shifts perfectly.
Steve

Back