• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Upgraded Center Caps - found Willwood issue

Cudafor36

Reaction score
just took off my front center cap and realized that the retaining bolts for it were hitting the adaptor plate that is part of the willwood front disc package. It was about 1/32" not flush with the wheel due to this. Never would I recommend this kit, not the first issue. Anyway I just blew a hole through where the witness marks were on the adaptor and installed Alen button heads for safe keeping. All is flush now.
Before and after pics below. I'll do the remaining three when I return from abroad in a couple weeks.

The old ones can be donated to whomever needs a set. The front two are missing the press in centers as hey popped off during driving all due to the interference with the willwood bearing cover. Gesh.

IMG_6922.JPG

IMG_6923.JPG

rogue

Reaction score
Can you expound a bit on this please? what other issues have you had with the wilwood kit? I've had one on my car for 10 years and never a problem. Wilwood does provide detailed drawings with the measurements needed to ensure the rims and kit don't interfere with each other. There are also shims available if needed and I've heard reasonable things about their tech support. Personally i'm not overly concerned with a minor fitment issue with specific wheel combos, but i am curious as to what other problems you've had

Cudafor36

Reaction score
I don't disagree. Hey have very good instructions and technical support. I am an engineer so I examined them for accuracy during the install.

Front:
- these are noisy brakes
- the spacer plate hitting the center cap bolts was missed by them.

Rear:
- the wheel stud chambers are interfering with the rotor. I did not see this during install but was evendent when my rotors around the studs cracked after a couple hundred miles of running. Willwood replaced them and I had to open the holes up a little to make clearance.
- initially, my passenger side would not center. Found out that I had to change the spacer on the caliper. I suggested to them to send both spacer thickness' on new kits and charge a small fee for it. Cause I'm wasn't the only one. They agreed.
- for the life of me I can not get the emergency brake to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Overall:
- I have opted to buy a hydroboost system as the three new booster and master cylinder systems, autozone direct replacement oem, MBM system, and fight stuff, I have put on all gave me an extremely hard pedal. Both with and without the correct prop and metering valves. I can not panic stop right now. All vendors don't understand either. But I have two febo buddies now that had the same issue with willwood and both have converted to the hydroboost and they both now have controlled and assisted braking. Maybe it's the 392 motor but at 21" of vacuum that's ample.

So if hydroboost does not make feel confident I'm ripping off this new stuff and going back to OEM where I never ever had a braking issue in the 36yrs of driving. It that's the case then I'll post an add to unload the willwoods, only have 1800 miles on them.

Btw. I did have a brake shop look her over and they like me are stumped.

rogue

Reaction score
thanks for the details. I don't have a rear kit so unfortunately no input there. The fronts aren't noisy at all for me. I'm not running any assist or boost on the brakes, just a mancini racing dual inline master cylinder and things are good.

I have had these sorts of fitment and operational issues with other things so i don't find it surprising.

I don't have experience with other vendors' kits but i'd wager a guess they have these sorts of niggling issues since there so many possible combinations of parts and vendors. At least they listened to your feedback and agreed with you.

good luck getting it sorted

Back