• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Urgent - Lower Steering Column - (Apparently) needs replacement

sir_veza

Reaction score
Just got an "urgent" call from the mechanic who is working on my transmission saying there is an "Serious Issue with the steering column". "The steering could go anytime". He's saying the the lower steering column is needing immediate replacement! The car originally had manual steering but a rebuilt Mopar power steering pump from a company called Steer & Gear, (their part 2040) was put on about ten years ago. Sure there is play in the steering but I didn't feel it to the extent this guy is saying. Hoping to get some input from anyone who has experienced something similar, (my first thought was is this guy trying to pull a stunt) as I need the car back late tomorrow as it's being appraised next Monday for my insurance renewal. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Got a phone # ?
I can call you .
The lower shaft should have a retaining pin in the coupler to keep it from sliding out of the coupler , that is the only situation I can think of that could be a problem with the steering shaft .

Last edited:

sir_veza

Reaction score
Where is the play, coupler(spline) or column?

Your transmission guy needs to be more specific or stick to transmissions. What exactly is the problem ? Have him send you a picture.
Sorry - This was resolved.
Went over the issue in depth with Chryco at the time it happened a couple of weeks ago. It was a simple case of the brackets at the base of the shaft needing to be turned 90 degrees to eliminate the play. The steering is firm now.

Back