• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vented fuel tank building pressure

BigDen1947

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1972 Plymouth Cuda that has been restored. The car is numbers matching and has the original 340 ci engine. There is a Holley Sniper fuel injection on the engine. The a new Holley vented gas tank was installed and the Holley w/ internal fuel pump has return line from the Sniper to the tank. Recently, after driving the car in hot weather I heard a high pitch sound coming from the gas cap and when opened there was a lot of pressure. Once relieved I put the cap back on and I could hear a trickling noise in the tank. Open the cap it stops, put it back on and it continues for several minutes. My cap has pressure or vacuum on the inside. I ordered a replacement but it hasn’t come yet.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

824A947E-120F-4F1D-9EF1-0378BA322755.jpeg

97973A57-8BD8-4E09-8991-C1DE40F1F1EC.jpeg

6BD962A6-BE88-4323-BB80-8394E6738FC3.jpeg

FDE149BB-B07C-4236-A7DC-98836FFD13A2.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Clearly the tank is not vented , 70 was the only year with a vented cap from the factory but that would solve the problem , I don't recall if 72 had the 4 extra lines from the tank into the separator but it would have either vented to the breather on the valve cover or into a carbon canister in later years but there would be a line running forward to the engine bay from the factory which may have been eliminated .

BigDen1947

Reaction score
Clearly the tank is not vented , 70 was the only year with a vented cap from the factory but that would solve the problem , I don't recall if 72 had the 4 extra lines from the tank into the separator but it would have either vented to the breather on the valve cover or into a carbon canister in later years but there would be a line running forward to the engine bay from the factory which may have been eliminated .
The tank is new from Holley it has vented fill line with a hose on top. I’m not sure if the hose has a filter with a built in check valve or not.

BigDen1947

Reaction score
The tank is new from Holley and it has a vented filler pipe w a hose running above the tank top. I’m not sure the hose has a check valve on top.

cuda joe

Reaction score
that vent has to be clogged. i had the same problem with my 71 I opened the separator in the trunk and found one line that had rust on the tip

Steve340

Reaction score
Hopefully the new cap will fix the problem. Check the vent tube is not restricted.

Back