• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vin question

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the vin number for a parts car I purchased years ago. The only numbers I can find are the b3 xxxxxx in the cowl panel. Car has new rad support and new frame rails ,no dash board. Just a shell.I would like to know if it is worth titling before I cut it up for parts.I came up with either bh and a _g or _h engine or it could be a bs with either g or h engine. Am I correct or are there other combinations for 1973.Thanks for your help.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
b3 really tells you very little only that it is a 73 built at Hamtramck which is the only place that built 73 E bodies .
I assume it is an automatic it could be rare If it is a BS/ JS 340 4spd but how to tell ?
If it is reasonably solid it would make a cool Pro touring Car rather than cutting it .

Reaction score
Original engine and trans missing.I'm trying to rebuild the vin so I know if it's a cuda or barracuda.4 speed car. Only part of vin I'm not sure of is the 23 part. Are all e body plymouth 2 door hardtop? No convertible in 73.Then there is the l,m,h,s. These were only h-barracuda or s-cuda correct? Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
True it has to be BH23x3B or BS23x3B , no verts after 71 , G & H were the only engines no slant 6 by 73 & no big blocks BP was Gran Coupe but 70 only .
So it is a 4spd car , still have the pedals & hump ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
For me it would be hard to cut up an original 4 spd cuda if the shell is solid , under different circumstances I would be interested in buying the shell , maybe you could sell it for enough to get new metal from AMD for your other project ?

volunteer

Reaction score
Sometimes there is a good regy out there - for a car that has already been 'scrapped'. Friend of mine has just that - for a '73 H-code auto FY1 Challenger.
So, your 'Cuda/Barracuda was a standard shift but could be either 3 or 4-spd. I'd expect the 318 standards would be very rare - especially 3 on floor. I knew another guy who bought a '73 Challenger brand new and it was a 340 with 3spd. std. I last saw the car 10 years ago and he still had factory tranny in it - not knowing he could have upgraded to an 833 (plus pistol-grip) at any time, and just store original parts - for (if and) when he ever decided to sell it. :realcrazy: Could be difficult, depending on jurisdiction, to register a vehicle without proper documents, as in your case, especially if purchased 'as-is' (for parts). Wish I had a magic wand to lend you.

Reaction score
Thanks All. I'm not looking to make a car into something it is not. Just curious what it was. If a Cuda I would start the process of having a vin assigned. I have read that the state pd has a place to look on the car where there is a full vin stamped.I will try the 4 numbers I came up with at the dmv to see what happens.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
What ebodies? What years? I've yet to see a vin stamp anywhere aside from the cowl and radiator shroud.
Do you happen to have any pictures? Love to see them.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You have almost all of the #S
It has to be Bx23x3B + the 6 sequence #S , so all you are missing is the H or S in the second position & G or H in the 5th as above the 318 manual is rare .

RANDY LOBERGER

Reaction score
The car I with the vin above the back window was a 1970 challenger I worked on several years back. Did not take a picture. The car I believe had a replacement roof or a portion of the roof replaced during an earlier repair. The vin stamped on the roof did not match the vin on the car so I am not sure what the donor was. It was however without a doubt a stamped vin at that location. Should have investigated it more. Not sure where the car is now.

Back