• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

VIN Sticker - Driver Door

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
All,

I apologize if this was asked already, I did a little searching and could not find a clear answer.

I am having a door sticker made by ECS Automotive Concepts since mine is long gone. Which way is yours oriented? Are both horizontal and vertical accepted? Google image search provided plenty of examples in both orientations with maybe 60% horizontal and the rest vertical.

Secondly, besides the VIN sticker on the inner frame was there any other stickers or plates which would've been standard? My car was sold in America so no Canadian tags needed.

As always thanks for the help!

Rapidfire

Reaction score
This is how it is on my 70

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 208

Culvers

Reaction score
Door sticker: Hamtramck (B) horizontal, Los Angeles (E) vertical

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
What year and model do you have? What is your Scheduled Production Date (SPD) to determine if you should have MM-YYYY or M-YY on the decal?
@Culvers is correct. Hamtramck built = horizontal and Los Angeles built = vertical.
The factory engineering drawing shows vertical for all Barracuda & Challenger in 1970/1971 but Hamtramck assembly line workers placed it horizontal anyway. The exact placement varies but most go above the hole near the large countersunk philips-head screw AND below the large dimple. They do vary within this space. Some are placed on top of the screw head while others are found between the door latch mechanism and the Philips-head screw. See engineering drawing below and graphic with examples which also show the orientation, various date formats for the Month and Year, and location/placement.

Attachments

• Engineering Drawing for Decal_VIN_Certification.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 132
  • Engineering Drawing for Door VIN Decal with Markup for 1970 Only.jpg
    Engineering Drawing for Door VIN Decal with Markup for 1970 Only.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 184

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
1970 Challenger 318 nothing special here. The date on the engine block comes out to May 20th and the SPD I have found on the engine mounts is June 1970.

Does that make sense for the engine to be built about a month before the car is assembled? I wasn't sure of the standard timeframes between the two.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
1970 Challenger 318 nothing special here. The date on the engine block comes out to May 20th and the SPD I have found on the engine mounts is June 1970.

Does that make sense for the engine to be built about a month before the car is assembled? I wasn't sure of the standard timeframes between the two.
Are you saying you do not have a door VIN, a fender tag, or a broadcast sheet? If so, you only have what is on the latest, original date-coded item to go by for a ballpark door VIN repro decal date. You can also ballpark the month - year from the VIN's sequential number (starts with 100001 until end of production year). With the right resources you can narrow it down but may never know the exact SPD month if it is around the end or the beginning of a month.
From what you have provided, your VIN should be JH23G0B######. We gotta know the number to see if it can bracketed between known VINs.
Your call on whether you want to investigate to narrow it down and then source what items you can for this car.

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
Here are the 2 easiest to spot VINs for me and luckily they match.

JH23G0B351902. Would love to know where this lies in the known VIN order if possible.

On the front of the engine I found the 10,000 day code (I think that is what it is called) for 3218. According to a decoder website that would be May 20th. The entire code reads FW 318 R 3218 1193.

I had the engine painted when we rebuilt the vehicle so I honestly cannot tell if the W is truly a W it might be a M, I cant really see which end the letter connects at.

Attachments

• Engine VIN.png
    Engine VIN.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Radiator VIN.png
    Radiator VIN.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 112

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
That is the info needed to narrow your SPD down.
The engine production info breaks down like this.
FW318R32181193
F=1970, W=Windsor Assembly Plant, R = Regular Fuel, 3128 = May 20, 1970, and 1193 = 1193rd engine assembled.
That info and the sequential number of 351902 narrows the SPD to the end of May 1970 to early-June 1970. More on that later.
That does not confirm the actual build date as the SPD is a scheduled production date and can be off by several weeks but your engine was definitely built on May 20, 1970 so your door VIN decal's date has to be May or June.

The closest fender tags that I have to your sequential number are below. I used them to narrow down the SPD.
The lower number is sequential number 349318 which is very close to your sequential number and has an SPD of 520 or May 20, 1970. Just so happens to be your engine build date. :)
The upper number is sequential number 359762 and has an SPD of 603 or June 3, 1970 so this puts your sequential number's SPD closer to the end of May than early June. That leaves 11 days in May for your engine to get to the assembly line and go into the car but only 3 days in June. Odds are your car was built in May. I would venture to say your SPD was between 521 and 531 which would, if built as scheduled, put your door VIN's decal as 5 - 70. If it was delayed for any reason, it is possible the door decal would be 6 - 70 but more info is needed to pin it down exactly.

You may want to join ebodies.org and message 6bblgt to see if he has any other info about the car. He has production record data and has helped many E-Body owners find out details on their SPD. This thread shows what he can research in his database.

JH23L0B349318.jpg

JS23V0B359762.JPG

Last edited:

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
FW318R32181193
F=1970, W=Windsor Assembly Plant, R = Regular Fuel, 3128 = May 20, 1970, and 1193 = 1193rd engine assembled.
That info and the sequence number of 351902 narrows the SPD to the end of May 1970 to early-June 1970. More on that later.
That does not confirm the actual build date as the SPD is a scheduled production date and can be off by several weeks but your engine was definitely built on May 20, 1970 so your door VIN decal's date has to be May or June.

The closest fender tags that I have to your sequence number are below. I used them to narrow down the SPD.
The lower number is sequence number 349318 which is very close to your sequence number and has an SPD of 520 or May 20, 1970. Just so happens to be your engine build date. :)
The upper number is sequence number 359762 and has an SPD of 603 or June 3, 1970 so this puts your sequence number's SPD closer to the end of May than early June. That leaves 11 days in May for your engine to get to the assembly line and go into the car but only 3 days in June. Odd are your car was built in May. I would venture to say your SPD was between 521 and 531 which would, if built as scheduled, put your door VIN's decal as 5 - 70. If it was delayed for any reason, it is possible the door decal would be 6 - 70 but more info is needed to pin it down exactly.

You may want to join ebodies.org and message 6bblgt to see if he has any other info about the car. He has production record data and has helped many E-Body owners find out details on their SPD. This thread shows what he can research in his database.
WOW man thank you so much for all this detailed information!

I was doing some hunting on my own (its how I found this site to begin with) but nothing as detailed as this so thank you very much!

I will join that website tonight and send him a message, this is so fun. (C)Archaeology!

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
FW318R32181193
That info and the sequence number of 351902 narrows the SPD to the end of May 1970 to early-June 1970. More on that later.

The closest fender tags that I have to your sequence number are below. I used them to narrow down the SPD.
The lower number is sequence number 349318 which is very close to your sequence number and has an SPD of 520 or May 20, 1970. Just so happens to be your engine build date. :)
The upper number is sequence number 359762 and has an SPD of 603 or June 3, 1970 so this puts your sequence number's SPD closer to the end of May than early June. That leaves 11 days in May for your engine to get to the assembly line and go into the car but only 3 days in June. Odds are your car was built in May. I would venture to say your SPD was between 521 and 531 which would, if built as scheduled, put your door VIN's decal as 5 - 70. If it was delayed for any reason, it is possible the door decal would be 6 - 70 but more info is needed to pin it down exactly.

View attachment 94030

View attachment 94031
Last question,

Other than the Fender Tag and Door Jam Sticker was the SPD stamped or cast anywhere on the vehicle?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Last question,

Other than the Fender Tag and Door Jam Sticker was the SPD stamped or cast anywhere on the vehicle?
No, but it is printed as the prefix of the VEHICLE ORDER NUMBER on Line 1 of the broadcast sheet(s) and is printed as the prefix of the S.O. NO. on the upper right of the WINDOW STICKER. A Barracuda window sticker is below with callouts for the different details.
On the window sticker, the SPD prefix is followed by the assembly plant code and the model, then the Vehicle Order Number.
Example from the T/A window sticker below: 324-BJ-139342 with B being Hamtramck and J being Challenger.
The last image is a Challenger dealer order form with a preprinted VON in the upper corner. Dealers had a stack of these so the VONs are whatever the dealer received on the multi-layer carbon copy forms.

E-BODY window sticker details.jpg

JH23J0B287275 WindowSticker.jpg

JH23J0B287875 BroadcastSheet.jpg

1970 Model Challenger Dealer Order Form with VON 095929_Portrait.jpg

Last edited:

NMexChallenger

Reaction score
Thank you again for this wealth of knowledge!

I wish my car had the pedigree some of these above do, how amazing to still have this paperwork 50+years later.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Updated door VIN Decal location diagram for 1970. The diagram has been updated to reflect additional confirmation that the Hamtramck door VIN decal can be located either right above the door latch or further up above the hole next to the Philips screw. Most are at the upper location but original, survivor decals show it can also be a the lower location.

Engineering Drawing for Door VIN Decal with Markup for 1970 Only.jpg

jeff968

Reaction score
I was watching Vanishing Point for the thousandth time the other day and for the first time I notice a shot where you can see the VIN decal and it is a vertical install so no question and no surprise, the VP challengers were out of the LA plant (or at least 1 of them was).

Back