• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vintage air

challengingjab

Reaction score
Has anyone used a vintage air kit on a 74 challenger to completley replace the factory air package ? and if you have was every thing there that you needed

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Yes and yes. I have used several. The round ducting to the Mopar vents needs to be zip tied or the ducting will come off. That is only if you are using factory ac vents.

Blown71duster

Reaction score
Nice advantage of the Vintage unit is the unit uses modern electrical servos controlled by their pcm. Comes with a nice control switch that fits in the stock location.
You can decide where you want your lines to go into the firewall , even hidden.
I kept everything inside. The drier with the trinary switch, electric heater bypass/shut off valve, relays for the compressor and cooling fan and controller. Wired everything with connectors so it can be unplugged to remove. Keeps it cleaner in the engine compartment.

IMG_1150.JPG

Martin

Reaction score
On the installation of the vintage air, it looks like it caps over the factory fresh air vent hole in the cowl. Is that right? Where does it get fresh air?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It doesn't get fresh air. It is a recirculation system. It is a lot smaller than the factory unit.

Martin

Reaction score
So in theory you can weld the air vents closed? Looking at some rust repair on the firewall, so trying to figure it what needs to be there or not.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You could. On a non air car you can keep the fresh air on the drivers side.

Odin

Reaction score
I have a 71 Challenger. It was originally a 318 car with a/c. One of the previous owners swapped in a 440 and removed the factory a/c system. The a/c vents and control switches (vacuum) are still there but NONE appear to be connected to anything. Nothing happens or changes when moving the fan switch, temperature switch or any of the heat, defrost, a/c etc buttons. The car is always putting out unblown heat through the floor outlet and it has no fresh air vents since it’s an a/c car. Is it cheaper/easier to rebuild the factory system(s) or install Vintage Air?

Drivun

Reaction score
I hear you! Bought my 72 ex-factory air Challenger in Boulder Creek CA and drove it 9 hours to San Diego. Thought I was going to die with all the heat and no way to shut it off. Rolling windows down was fine until it started pouring rain!
I'm not rushing to install new a/c given other priorities but as a temporary fix I initially installed manual ball valves from the hardware store to stop hot engine water from circulating thru the heater in the summer. I could go under the hood and open them on cooler days. With handles removed and painted black they can be made to be less noticeable. Secondly, I just got a workable replacement water valve off Rock Auto. Using the stock cable, I connected this to the cool/hot slide bar in the original heater control unit, so I will now be able to stop the hot water flow without getting under the hood. Adding power windows is cheaper than a/c so thats next .

valves.jpg

valve.jpg

booyaballer

Reaction score
I'm looking into the vintage air and classic auto air too. does the dash need to be removed to install one of these kits?

Odin

Reaction score
I’m going VintagAir but haven’t bought it yet. Just starting the disassemnly and starting restoration in a couple weeks. I’ve seen where some guys have fabricated parts so it appears to run through the factory holes in the firewall. Gonna try to make it generally look as stock as possible using the VA stuff.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I'm looking into the vintage air and classic auto air too. does the dash need to be removed to install one of these kits?
I would say no, but it is easier to have the dash out. The time to take the dash out verses the extra time you spend with the dash in probably equals out. Your back pain from being upside down under the dash, makes the dash worth pulling IMO.

Rich G.

Reaction score
On my 71 Cuda I updated everything under the hood from classic air using the Sanden compressor because I have a shaker hood so the standard compressor won’t fit. Left all the original parts under the dash and it works just fine.

Avalanche

Reaction score
On my 71 Cuda I updated everything under the hood from classic air using the Sanden compressor because I have a shaker hood so the standard compressor won’t fit. Left all the original parts under the dash and it works just fine.

With the shaker, did you locate the sanded compressor in the same location? And it fit? Did you buy everything new in engine bay and keep everything from inside car?
A pict would be great of engine bay.

Back