• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vinyl top and headliner

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Anyone know if installing the headliner or vinyl top should come before the other? Does it matter?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I did the headliner first. You have to have the 1/4 window vinyl top clips in place to save a little hassle.

20220319_175925 - Copy.jpg

Reaction score
Factory did the interior last.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I did my headliner first and had no problems. The front and rear glass needs to be out for the vinyl top and it is so much easier to do a headliner with the glass out too.

Reaction score
Let’s stop the myth. The glass does not NEED to be out. Yes it is easier with it out. Upholstery shops do headliners with glass in all the time.

I’ve done (4) with the glass installed. It’s no big deal.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Fortunately glass wise, only the quarter glass has been installed since the ground up restoration. I even ripped out the dash again to ship off the dash wiring harness to be checked and re-built as necessary. No seats, no package tray, etc. installed yet. So, I have an opportunity to to either or, first. Since this is my first time doing these two tasks, my concern was about the rail trim being used to capture the vinyl top interfering with the headliner install. Based on the cars status, sounds like I can do either task without any snags (pun intended).

Beekeeper

Reaction score
I don’t know that there is an advantage or disadvantage in doing one before the other.

If you had an SE, I think there are emblems that go on the C pillar and I’m guessing they have nuts on the inside so maybe in that case, do the vinyl top first.

moparlee

Reaction score
Let’s stop the myth. The glass does not NEED to be out. Yes it is easier with it out. Upholstery shops do headliners with glass in all the time.

I’ve done (4) with the glass installed. It’s no big deal.
I don't think anybody said that the glass needs to come out for the headliner.

Back