• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Vinyl top or not

btceng

Reaction score
I love the look of a vinyl top. I have a new Legendary top and am in the process of trying find the rear vinyl trim. Many of my contacts have advised against ever using a vinyl top. They say that it will in all cases trap moisture and cause roof rot. My car already has a replaced roof skin from the original roof rotting away. What do you guys think?

teslasbrain

Reaction score
I love the look of a vinyl top. I have a new Legendary top and am in the process of trying find the rear vinyl trim. Many of my contacts have advised against ever using a vinyl top. They say that it will in all cases trap moisture and cause roof rot. My car already has a replaced roof skin from the original roof rotting away. What do you guys think?

It will be interesting to see what others think. I would do what what you like best; after all you probably won't be driving it in the rain and snow year round, so I don't think it would rot your roof like before. I would be even more inclined to put it on if it was orignal to the car.

As for me I persoanally don't like vinyl tops, but my numbers match A66 Challenger was originally sublime with a white vinyl top, and I just want to paint it body color. I wonder what effect that will have on the value, but then again I am not planning on selling it.

btceng

Reaction score
My car is not numbers matching nor a special edition of any type. 318 with a slapstick 1972 Challenger. I want to paint it rallye red or maybe hemi orange. Again, I like the look of a vinyl top on those colors but I have seen a lot of cars that I love that are not. The roof skin that was replaced came from a donor car and has some minor pitting and one or two small dings that will need messaging if not covered in vinyl. They probably need to be fixed either way.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Just my opinion, I don't like vinyl tops,and it's true about moisture. My Dad had it on his racecar, and I think we redid the top twice throughout it's life with us.

But it's your car you should do what you want.

5 copy 2.jpg

sc005425ec.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I like a vinyl top personally, just depends on the car. My A66 came with and will have one when restored and it looks like I will be keeping that car. Have it for sale, but no real interest in the car. Tough time to sell a major preoject I guess. Anyway thumbs up on a vinyl top Challenger for me. Keep it in your garage with a little heat on during the winter and it will stay nice and dry and you'll not have to wory about it. I have a small wall mount nat. gas heater that I keep on all winter in my detached 20' X36' garage/shop and no matter what the temp is outside, it stays above freezing and dry out there and it costs me $60 a month on my gas bill.

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks guys. AlleyoopMgv, I see the passion runs deep in your family. My dad actually discourages all of my interest in the older cars. He says that they drove them because they had to. He always questions why I would waste time and money of yesterdays junk. My son's passion for the old stuff has softened him a bit and he seems to be interested in our Challenger project. Aren't grandkids magic?

ramenth

Reaction score
I've heard it before. Get a good paint under the vinyl. The factory just used primer. Primer is porous and allows the moisture into the metal. Keep the vinyl dressed with a good dressing of choice (Armor All, etc) and it will help it shed water and remain pliable. It's when the UV starts drying it out and starts cracking it that you're in for real trouble.

btceng

Reaction score
Even though it's a plain 72, I really like the idea of a Rallye Red with the R/T stripes and hood treatment with a black vinyl top.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Thanks guys. AlleyoopMgv, I see the passion runs deep in your family. My dad actually discourages all of my interest in the older cars. He says that they drove them because they had to. He always questions why I would waste time and money of yesterdays junk. My son's passion for the old stuff has softened him a bit and he seems to be interested in our Challenger project. Aren't grandkids magic?

My Dad (lost him in 06 to pancreatic cancer) has been into cars and drag racing since before I was born. I have 2 older brothers, and they are both car guys (Chevy, barf!) .

Everyone's got to have a hobby, that's what keeps me out of trouble! LOL!

I have 2 grandkids myself, and they are great!

My Dads car was done the first time in the late 70's, and then the second time it was painted in the mid to late 80's. Thats acrylic enamel paint (the black) with the purple lettering on it. He sold it in 2004, in street trim and it still looked great!

It's like ramenth says, if it's prepped and painted properly, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

2202087-1970Challenger008 copy.jpg

btceng

Reaction score
My son wants to be an automotive engineer (at 11 y/o) so that's how we got into the car project. I don't want to be the one to hold him back. Besides, it's always been my dream as well. I'll just let him pick the top. It is for him anyway. Thanks everyone.

prodart440

Reaction score
I have a 71 cuda that used to be a vinyl top car. I had to replace a whole bunch of body parts (My son wrecked it) and I am not putting the vinyl top back. I like the vinyl tops, but this time I am going to leave it off.

cudafan

Reaction score
I love a vinyl top. My first car, a '74 Barracuda, had a white one w/burgandy paint. But it's your car, do what you like & good luck!

btceng

Reaction score
The jury is still out. I do have a Legendary top that is still in the box awaiting the needed rear trim and of course a decision. Someone mentioned that the original vinyl cars had only primer under the top. Is that true? I find that hard to believe as I would figure the top to be an add-on after final paint.

burdar

Reaction score
ramenth has it right. Most cars just had primer under the tops although some origonal cars have been found painted. That is a rarity though.

My car had 0 rust under the top. The vinyl still looked new after 30 years. The car was stored inside and out of the elements. If you like the look of a vinyl top, paint the roof and install it.

racerkilla

Reaction score
i'm pulling the top off a 73 cuda and was fully painted underneath. Is the trim for a cuda and challenger the same

btceng

Reaction score
I think the Cuda is different but I'm not sure. The guy that I got the car from says that he has found it but I haven't been able to get it yet.

D Dodge

Reaction score
If you keep the car in the garage most of the time you won't have to worry about the top rusting.
It sounds like you want a vinyl top so I think you should install it.

Back