• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Washer pump constantly on

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Just installed a new windshield washer pump. As soon as the key is turned to acc position the pump runs and won't shut off until the key is turned off or the fuse blows.
It is an anco pump wired exactly the same way as the old pump. ( which I've tested and It is toast)
Could the problem be in the washer switch itself. If so.... OH GOD I DON'T WANT TO TAKE MY DASH APART... is there an easy way to test or remove the switch. Or what are the chances of a faulty pump?
Thanks for your help

Adam

Reaction score
Unplug the pump wire at the pump and check if it is hot with the switch in both positions, which it probably will be since the pump runs constantly. Then see if you can test the terminal on the switch itself, in both positions; this will tell you if the switch is bad. If off and on function, then the problem is in between; ie shorted to hot, or wrong wire connected somewhere.

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Thanks Adam.. when you say "shorted to hot".. do you mean the wire that supplies the power ( in this case brown.) Is being grounded someplace along it's run. Maybe a bare wire touching metal?
Thanks.. in have the car up in the air right now but hopefully it will be coming down tomorrow afternoon. I will check it then.
Thanks again

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Hi Mark.. I have a spare switch.. do you know not an easy way to take the old switch out with out taking the dash apart?
Thanks

Rich G.

Reaction score
It’s not the ground. You’re getting constant power that’s why it’s running. If the power wire was grounded you’d blow the fuse. You have to push in the knob on the switch to get the pump to work. Is it stuck in by any chance if you’re lucky?

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Hey Rich.
The button goes in and out with ont issue. So I gather from the comments so far, it very well may be a closed circuit inside the switch.. OR.. a grounded power wire because it does blow the fuse.
Next week end I will replace the power wire and if that doesn't work then the weekend after that I will swap switches..
Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Thanks Adam.. when you say "shorted to hot".. do you mean the wire that supplies the power ( in this case brown.) Is being grounded someplace along it's run. Maybe a bare wire touching metal?
Thanks.. in have the car up in the air right now but hopefully it will be coming down tomorrow afternoon. I will check it then.
Thanks again
Shorted to hot or positive, either inside the switch or to a hot wire pinched or melted at the bulkhead connector...

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Well we'll well...i guess I should have mentioned I installed an American autowire e body kite.. After another 4 hours in the garage last night pouring over the installation instructions I found out the instruction have me placing the white wire ( 12v.power) onto the wrong terminal. It was a simple matter or reversing the location of the white and brown wire.
This is the THIRD time the install directions were wrong. Would I use American autowire again?? Absolutely. We are all human.
Thanks for all your input. It is very much appreciated.

moparlee

Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out:thumbsup:. Be sure to let American Autowire know about their instruction errors so others do not run into the same issues.

Back