• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Weeping Thermoquad

transman

Reaction score
I need some help. I recently rebuilt the thermoquad on my 74 Challenger.
Now, I've got a couple of weeping leaks on both ends of the rear of the carb. It's weeping between the top and the plastic body.
I thought that perhaps I'd pinched the gasket, and or the float pins had moved. A new gasket, and double checking the pins to make sure they were in the right spot and still it leaks. The carb is the original one, and had never been rebuilt. It still had the brass floats and they are in great shape. The car has only 38000 original miles on it, so I doubt the body has warped.
Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch.

transman

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
is it flooding ? the fuel level shoul dnot be high enough for fuel to be higher than the bowl

moparleo

Reaction score
Thats correct. Recheck and reset all of the adjustments according to the spec sheet that came with the rebuild kit. To check for a warped body lay it on a piece of glass or any flat, hard surface and check.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
My guess is one of the O rings are bad or misaligned where the body connects with the top. Another possible problem is a cracked body on the underneath. I tried to circle where I am speaking of but could not get the program to work. The O rings are in the wells of the first pic located by the front butterlies. In the second pic on the body you can see white compond where the body has two pieces glued to it. The glue wears out and leaks sometimes.

Thermo-Quad_023FuelBodyTopView.jpg

Thermo-Quad_024FuelBodyBottomView.jpg

Last edited:

transman

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I've been busy so just got around to fixing the situation.
The problem was with the float level. I set it at 1" as per the instructionsin the FSM. I reset them to 29/32" and the problem has gone away. I lucked out Monday when an ex-customer of mine asked if I wanted to take a "Chrysler" old carb off his hands. It turned out to be a 9100 series, and helped me put the choke linkage back the way it is supposed to be. Car runs just fine now.

Thanks again.

transman

Back