• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Weird starting electrical issues Help needed

1mopar1

Reaction score
73 challenger with a 383 stock electronic ignition distrubutor, 5 pin box, voltage regulator, 4 pin resistor, msd blaster 2 coil. We cannot figure this out. When all wiring is hooked up and you try and start the car, nothing, no ticking or anything. When you take the wire off the distributor side of the coil car will crank. When i originally got this car they had a wire from the positive battery post and an alligator clip you would clip on the same side of the coil as mentioned above. What gives. Is it because of the 12 volt coil. would changing to a stock coil fix the problem. Thanks for any help.

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Anyone who would put an alligator clip there wold most certainly mess something else up. Did the car ever run? I'd get a wiring diagram for the ignition system and go through it, sounds like something is crossed wired or shorting.

1mopar1

Reaction score
Yes it ran fine with the alligator clip from battery to distrubutor side of the coil. I agree about messing things up. The wiring diagram says it is for a 73 challenger but the wire colors are not matching up the the harness in the car.

burntorange70

Reaction score
After 40 years of people "fixing" or what ever you want to call it the wiring in a car you never know what you are going to find. I would not trust the wire colors. Need to chase them all. Does your car not have starter relay?

1mopar1

Reaction score
yes it has a starter relay. We might have figured it out. Te battery isnt charged well and when I put it on hight start with the wire hooked up, it cranked. Will be changing batteries and checking again soon.

Back