• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What could be the problem?

B2G707

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Challenger with a 360 engine swap. Currently theres a real loud ticking sound and the engine shakes.

I change the headers already and checked the spark plugs. Last mechanic took the heads off to inspect it but couldn’t find anything.

Anyone dealt with this issue before? Or heard of this happening?

AUSTA

Reaction score
Lifters ,sticking valve.
Does the engine shake through the whole rev range.
Try taking plug lead off 1 at a time (while engine is off) restart & see if the problem is the same or gets worse replace plug lead & move to next cylinder until you find if it is a cylinder not firing.

B2G707

Reaction score
Lifters ,sticking valve.
Does the engine shake through the whole rev range.
Try taking plug lead off 1 at a time (while engine is off) restart & see if the problem is the same or gets worse replace plug lead & move to next cylinder until you find if it is a cylinder not firing.

My bad, forgot to mention he also check all the cylinders abd everything is firing correctly.

AUSTA

Reaction score
If it is doing it in neutral could be converter bolts (Could explain the ticking if a bolt is hitting the flywheel inspection plate) or flywheel harmonic balancer??
If its internal not good

B2G707

Reaction score
If it is doing it in neutral could be converter bolts (Could explain the ticking if a bolt is hitting the flywheel inspection plate) or flywheel harmonic balancer??
If its internal not good

Yes it does do it in neutral actually. I had it check for internal and was told it looked our and it wasn’t internal but who knows at this point ya know. Heres a video from earlier today.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Get yourself a long screwdriver or length of metal pipe or hardwood dowel and carefully use it as a stethoscope. It sounds like an exhaust leak on the video but with as hard as it’s shaking in time with the knock it’s scarring me. Did you pull the oil drain plug yet to see if anything besides oil comes out?

340challconvert

Reaction score
It does sound like an exhaust leak from the headers. I have had factory exhaust manifolds make that ticking sound when leaking on my car.
You changed to a 360 engine; what was the original engine/trans combo? Did you use the same trans and converter?
All 360's are externally balanced; all 318 and 340 engines are internally balanced, except for the cast crank 340's (external)
If you used the same torque converter, or reused the harmonic balancer from another small block engine, the engine could be out of balance and could shake like that. Those parts need to be used as a set for the specific engine combination.
I would also pull the oil drain plug and see the condition of the oil as Matt suggested; make sure there is no water in the oil which would suggest a bad head gasket or other serious problems.
Just my thoughts!

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Use a length of garden hose place it near your ear ot in your ear (we don't want perforated ear drums) then move the other end around the exhaust ports
works excellent for finding exhaust leaks
The J port does not seal to well at the rear bottom when using headers found it best to elongate the hole slightly & lift the gasket up before tightening.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Exhaust leaks usually show signs of discoloration due to the high heat escaping.

flohemi

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Challenger with a 360 engine swap. Currently theres a real loud ticking sound and the engine shakes.

I change the headers already and checked the spark plugs. Last mechanic took the heads off to inspect it but couldn’t find anything.

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about your problem and was wondering if there is good oil pressure, enough to fill the lifters and

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, is it possible you have low oil pressure, not enough to fill lifters or one side of the engine is dry, the first can bearing should have 2 holes in the top which feed the heads and if the wrong bearing is there one side will not get fed oil pressure. ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
What about balance , the 360 is balanced differently from all other small blocks & even the magnum 360 is different from the LA series

Back