• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What engine block year should I put in my 1970 challenger r/t? 1969? or 1970

achallenger70

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum, Have had my car for a while tho anyways.....
I have a 1970 dodge challenger r/t. I have two 383 engine blocks.

What engine Year Block should I put in to my 1970 challenger r/t? 1969? or 1970?

I would think 1970 because its a 70 car, but I also heard that the block should be one year back before the cars model date that it was made.

So which one?? I appreciate And Thank you for looking at this Question:)

moparleo

Reaction score
Is the car all stock, original? No modifications? Date codes are only to verify that the parts were made before the car. Otherwise they could not be original to the car. The engine however has a serial number that can be matched to the cars vin.

In which case you just want to use the best block that you have. Are both blocks standard bore ? Have the blocks been hot tanked and magnaflux checked for cracks, and sonic checked for core shift ?
These are the important things you need to know before you spend your $$ on machine work.

moper

Reaction score
What is the build date of your car? Normally the casting date would precede the build date by anywhere from 3-6 months on a popular engine package. There was no shortage of 383s so I'd think you should be in that window. If the engine is cast somewhere in the October-December of '69 then it would be for a '70. If the 70 casting date is any time after 6/70, check the ID pad stampings because it probably went into a '71 model.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree to use the best block you have or can find . to me a date correct block is still the wrong block if the vin doesn't match , there is only 1 block that belongs to the car , but generally 3-6 months ahead of the production date of the car is the general time frame for the block casting date.
Personally I would build a 383 stroker using 440 internals this will give you 432 CI approx depending on bore size & will still look bone stock externally .

Last edited:

achallenger70

Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply!! my internet has been down for a full week at my house stupid at&t. anyways..Yea I have to check my Vin I know there was a book in my room that told me how to read the Vin I have to find it tho. is there a link here that shows how to read your vin on this challenger forum?-Thank you

Back