• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

What factory shrouds will fit my 73 challenger?

challngd73

Reaction score
Hello, I've been running my 73 challenger without a shroud since I've owned it. It runs up to a max temp of 206 and I'm guessing a shroud would lower that. Anyone have any ideas what factory shrouds I could pirate out of a junk yard that would work? Not worried about originality. It's a factory 318 ac car, and I believe the radiator is original. It currently sports a warmed over 440. Thank you all in advance.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
You say it's been without a shroud since you owned it. So how long have you owned it and has it typically hit the 200 degree area (summer only?)? Does it constantly run at 200 degrees (original radiator may have finally gave up), (water pump going out), (warmed over 440 requires a better radiator than a mild 318), or does it go to that after start up and then come back down (thermo sticking)? I ask this to determine if this temperature is an increase over what you have previously monitored. Made any recent mod's that could make a rise in temp? If this is a new thing, while the shroud will help, it is not the answer to the problem.

Someone on the forum may be able to tell you what other vehicles shroud would fit (probably Moparleo, if you answer his questions specifically - like "does it have a clutch fan"), but if not, if you have a helpful Mopar parts store, you could have them cross reference the shroud part number to other vehicle year and makes. Good luck!

Last edited:

challngd73

Reaction score
I've owned the car for three years and this temp is what it always runs at. Never warmer. I'm sorry I'm ignorant but not sure what a clutch fan is....it is just a factory fan blade.

moparleo

Reaction score
The fan clutch is like it sounds, a clutch between the water pump and the cooling fan. It should have resistance if you try to manually turn the fan blade with the engine off. If it does'nt have any resistance, it won't rotate enough at low speeds to cool the radiator properly. After 35-40 mph the fan doesn't matter any more as the speed of the car forces enough air through the radiator to cool the radiator and condensor (if you have a/c ). It also draws horse power to drive the fan. That is why late model cars usually have electric cooling fans controlled by a thermostatic switch. It draws no horsepower and will draw or push air through the core reagardless of speed using engine temperature to control its operation.
A fan shroud acts as a funnel to direct air through the core making it more efficient. The size of hole in the shroud and its depth will be affected by the diameter and depth of the fan to radiator core.
206 is not very hot unless it is at 60 mph cruising. Ideal temp is about 180 degrees. It will go up or down depending on speed and load.
If you are able to spend a couple hundred dollars on the system, I would get an after market electric cooling fan/ thermo switch setup. It will always be on when it needs to cool down and won't rob any horsepower.

challngd73

Reaction score
Ah. Nice explanation, thank you. I plan on switching to a champion radiator and electric fan combo soon. Its the ole 'if it ain't broke' adage I guess. I figured if I threw a shroud at it for now it'd save me some cash. Thanks again for the posts.

Back